BMW Werkz banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
In regards to the 4 door 318iS yeah u can get them I bought one yesterday there limited as they were only built for one year with the "M" kit I.E suspention etc.. they kick out 140 bhp and i think they only came in the Avus Blue colour (i think) I shall take some pics of mine and load them up on here. Oh yeah they year they were made was 1998 (R reg in england)

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
The amount of wrong information in this thread is staggering and it's really simple.

In the USA, all cars had the m42b18 (later m44b19, starting in '96) regardless of whether or not they were an 'is or i. All that the 'is meant here is 2 doors.

In the rest of the world, the 'is meant the car had the more powerful engine compared to the m40 or m43 found in the sedan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are right Torque

You are right Torque

I drive a E36 1995 4 doors*with a m42b18 engine. the body (emblem) show 318i (not IS) and it's a 16v.

Tell me Tourque, do you know if there is any other différences? I mean it's a 318i with a "European IS engine", (like a simple engine swap)?

Thanks

Nick

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
As far as I know, the m42b18 was identical for all markets. There should be no difference (aside from maybe emissions ... I think there were some cars with no catalytic converter, but that's a minute difference that really wont do anything for performance or the lack thereof).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks torque but...

Thanks torque but... my question about others differences was about the car itself not only the engine.

I know that the 318is have some differents specifications like the suspension, transmission, wheels and the body like the 318is Supertourisme 1995.

Finaly I just want to know is my 318i is exacly like a 318i with a 16v engine?

Thaks for all the infos

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
Thanks torque but... my question about others differences was about the car itself not only the engine.

I know that the 318is have some differents specifications like the suspension, transmission, wheels and the body like the 318is Supertourisme 1995.

Finaly I just want to know is my 318i is exacly like a 318i with a 16v engine?

Thaks for all the infos
Yes, it's the exact same cars.

As for the differences: the only thing that comes to mind is glass lights, nicer steering wheels and steering wheel tilt on euro-spec cars. Everything else is exactly the same.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I could be wrong, but i think the 's' comes with wider and/or larger rims and tires, and painted side skirts and front bumber. Thats about the only difference i'm aware of.
thats wrong. mine is an is and the side shirts or front bumper arent painted. but its also a 92 so who knows. you might be right for different years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Difference between 318i and 318is

Well, i have a 318is and my auntie had a 318i. Maybe it's because in my country the trims are selected by the dealer as a package, we do not get to choose. My 318is is slightly older than my auntie's 318i but her car has more luxurious items in the interior, all exterior parts have matching colours, classier rims, and no sporty exterior package.

Meanwhile, my 318is had cloth interior, sportier exterior package, more powerful engine, but black plastic trims for the exterior.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Miles per Gallon Lower gauge Indicator

Hi There I just have a simple question here...how does it work the MPG gauge indicator from the bottom? When I press the accelerator, why this gauge is constantly indicating a different value 10-20-30-50 and what is its meaning?

Many Thanks.:)

Attachments

·
4DoorWhore
2,208 Posts
Hi There I just have a simple question here...how does it work the MPG gauge indicator from the bottom? When I press the accelerator, why this gauge is constantly indicating a different value 10-20-30-50 and what is its meaning?

Many Thanks.:)
It calculates your MPG using a vacuum line as I recall. Stomp on the throttle and your MPG will drop, which will be indicated on the gauge as 10 or less. When driving at optimal fuel efficiency (around 65mph) the gauge should read 30-40mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks so much for your explanation, I got it now. Another one here, I think I have an air entrance somewhere making the rebolutions to go completely down to 0 sometimes, what should I check to have this corrected?

·
4DoorWhore
2,208 Posts
You probably have a vacuum leak somewhere. Check your intake boot and vacuum lines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, i've been reading the thread, and i know it's already a bit old, but well let's open it again.

I've a e36 318is 4 door of 1996.

About the 318i there are two models, one with 113hp and the other with 115hp -both models are available in europe, but Portugal is more common to find models with 113hp and both exist with 2-4 doors

About the 318is there are the 2 and 4 doors, but there are a few differences in the engine too, mine its a 1.9cc 4cl 143hp(origin) now its close to 170 cause a few upgrades.
And there are the other model with 1.8cc and 140hp.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts