BMW Werkz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2003 Z4 with about 44k on it. Last night while returning home I had the amber brake warning come on. Assuming time to do brakes. Has anybody done their brakes on their own. Don't trust dealers, Where do I get parts in Toronto? I have a little bit of a lip on outside edge of rotors, can they be machined? or does it matter? I have done lots of brake jobs on different vehicles, but not BMW? Is their anything I should be aware of? Do sensors need to be replaced?

Thanks in Advance

10D

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
Amber, thought it should be red, whats it look like ?

· Registered
16 Posts
Had 2003-Z4. 48k/miles, front brakes 5/2 and backs 8/2. No light on yet? Talked to dealer and they quoted me $1,000 for breaks all the way around. They always replace rotors-which I think is probably good idea-(IMO).
Any ways, sold it to a friend and now own a 2008-Z4 with 700miles on it now. I guess I won't have to worry about breaks for a few yrs. Left over new 2008-52miles on it when I got it. Good deal?
Bimmer0308

· Registered
1,493 Posts
Have a 2003 Z4 with about 44k on it. Last night while returning home I had the amber brake warning come on. Assuming time to do brakes. Has anybody done their brakes on their own. Don't trust dealers, Where do I get parts in Toronto? I have a little bit of a lip on outside edge of rotors, can they be machined? or does it matter? I have done lots of brake jobs on different vehicles, but not BMW? Is their anything I should be aware of? Do sensors need to be replaced?

Thanks in Advance

10D
The site sponsor FCP Groton will gladly ship parts to you. Good quality and a fair price. I have dealt with them before so i know ;-)

Outer lip is standard on factory discs. As long as your brakes haven't come down metal to metal, and your car doesn't shake, shimmy, or rattle on braking, you should be alright by jst changing pads and sensors.

If the light came on, yes, change sensors. they're cheap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.