BMW Werkz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all of you with the time and patience to give me some directions. I have searched and searched till exhausted (beyond) for some simple way to fix my camshaft position sensor issue. I bought my 1998 e39 528i (m52b28) about a year ago. From what I gather it is the Dinan edition, and it has a 5 speed manual transmission. Odometer says 163,000 miles. It is absolutely clean and for the most part runs really good. However, when I bought it, it had several things that were triggering the cel light. O2 sensors, ect ect. Now I am down to the last thing triggering the check engine light and I am overdue at the smog shop to finish registering it in my name.
It is the camshaft position sensor and I have replaced it with a few different brands and finally got a Siemens oem, as well as the crank sensor and after replacing both with oem, I still get the light. I am only getting 2.5 volts at the sensors connector. I have tried resetting the ecm at the OBD2 port and the 20 pin OBD1 port under the hood. After shutting off the engine and turning it back on, poof there is the light again. I have checked the connections, I have checked the fuses, (but not under the passenger seat floorboard yet). I have checked the harness for continuity. And so I am unsure what to do next. It seems to be that I must get a new ecm but if there is something I have missed, I am burnt out and a bit frusterated. I really like the car and plan to keep it for as long as I can. Weird thing about it though. If I drive with a cps plugged in it runs a bit sluggish, and it wants to almost die occasionally when coming to a stop. But if I unplug the cps, the car runs fine. No dips in the rpm when coming to a stop. And it stopped running rough.
I have really learned alot through reading all your posts and am going to remain as a member here. You all have helped me after reading about what you all have encountered and I hope some of you can help me out on this issue. Thank you

1 - 2 of 2 Posts