BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any thoughts on a new muffler or exhaust for an 08 x3? Problem is the inside the right tailpipe there is a valve that opens and closes for backpresser etc at different revs. If i replace the muffler what do i do with the device that controls the valve seems like it may be an air line. Like if i cut it will i get a check engine light or anything? see pic
Exhaust system Automotive exhaust Muffler Auto part Wheel

Vehicle Car Auto part Exhaust system Engine

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,129 Posts
Just noise control.

Now that I think about it, the flap is vacuum controlled. So, just make sure not to create a vacuum leak -- seal up the hose end tightly. I recall that many people use a golf tee. Google golf tee mod BMW, and you will see that this is very common either to leave the flap always open on the stock exhaust, or when installing aftermarket exhausts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Golf tee mod

I looked it up seems like a good idea.. but i could not find any instructions.. any ideas on where to find that? is it literally sticking a golf tee in the end of the hose? should i wrap it with electrical tape?

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.