BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i have replaced the immobiliser ring with a new one. i have checked to see if the engine will turn by hand-yes, i turn the key and nothing. not a sound. the oil pressure light and battery light go out when the key is turned and come back on when it returns. i've checked fuses, relays. i can't think of anything else except for maybe a can of fuel and a zippo. someone must know the answer. please help :(

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Ignition switch could be at fault (not the barrel), drop the steeing cowl, where you will see a rectangular box with wires to it, basically near the end of the barrel ...thats the switch.

I presume the battery is ok...have you put the car in gear and rocked it back and fore just in case the starter is jammed if you have and the battery is fully charged the ign switch would be my neat port of call....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. problem fixed. and do you know what it was (marti5 will understand this) the good old british weather!!! it had made the main earth cable have a bad connection what with all the muck on the roads. cleaned it up at both ends (and the battery while i was at it) applied some copper grease over it and......jurassic park!!!! she kicked into life. this car does seem to be giving me a lot of grief.....maybe time to sell?

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
British weather for you....aleast your sorted, the trouble with modern cars there are so many electrics especially BMW's and if you dont have a diagnostic kit your always shooting in the dark...time to sell ? nah, if you know the car and maintain it, it will be fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true. once bitten twice shy kinda guy i'm afraid. thats the problem like you said, modern cars. my pontiac was easy to work on (except the autobox - that be witchcraft!!) could take it all to pieces and back together in a week!!! there can't be much left to go wrong on the car now!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the exact same symptoms once, turns out when I put the engine in there wasnt a good ground from the starter to the block. Same thing, everything lights up but when turned to start everything dims way down or off. First thing to check is electrical resistance from starter to good known ground (frame)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts