BMW Werkz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2002 525i can't pass state inspection due to torn wiper blade insert(the rubber piece). I did a search and found two options:

1)buy just the insert and it costs around $12 for both pieces(rubber piece) and change it, but some people said it is not easy to change it due to the middle metal piece from the original rubber piece,

2)buy a new replacement wiper blade set of 2(left & right) from Bosch for around $30 a set. Most people say it is very easy to install

Sounds like the Bosch choice is a better one?

About 3 weeks ago while stopping at traffic light with shift gear at D(drive), the RPM suddenly went up high passing 3000. in other words, the car is running at high RPM even though I did not step on the gas pedal! My foot is still on the brake pedal, then I shift it to N(neutral) thinking it will make the RPM to slow down. However the high RPM continues AND now the shift gear is locked at N. I can't shift it to any other gear, it was stuck at N and still at high RPM(engine is running with loud noise). I was scare and not sure what to do, finally I turn off the car with the gear still at N. I waited a couple of minutes, start the car but same situation, then turn off the car again, wait another couple of minutes. Start the car again, engine still running loud, and then a couple of minutes later the engine finally slow down to RPM < 1000, and I was able to drive the car.

This is very scary. What is wrong with my car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

My 2002 525i can't pass state inspection due to torn wiper blade insert(the rubber piece). I did a search and found two options:

1)buy just the insert and it costs around $12 for both pieces(rubber piece) and change it, but some people said it is not easy to change it due to the middle metal piece from the original rubber piece,

2)buy a new replacement wiper blade set of 2(left & right) from Bosch for around $30 a set. Most people say it is very easy to install

Sounds like the Bosch choice is a better one?
If you know the wiper brand, you can get new inserts. Otherwise, buy replacement blades. I prefer PIAA, but Bosch, Rain-X, and ANCO brands are popular where inserts are replaceable. I usually replace my wipers about every three years because of the wear from snow and ice.

Regarding your RPM issue. Has it repeated? Any warning lights? Did you check for error codes? You can get a free code check at Autozone. It could be a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Beefrank,

Since no one reply earlier & I need to pass the state inspection,so I bought the Bosch replacement(whole bracket including blade) and it was very easy to replace.

for the RPM issue there was no warning lights & so far it did not repeat. I do remember the two times it happened I was on cruise control, wonder if it is related. I stop using cruise control now to play safe.

I do have the "yellow service engine light" on randomly. It comes on a few days and then it disappeared.....I have a mechanic run the code for this light and it is 171 & 174 and it says "system to lean" on the scanner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts