·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all wonder if you guys can help!!!!

I have a e36 1992 318i manual.

A belt
was squeaking and i had it replaced.

Now when i start up my car the everything starts out OK until...

I step on the gas and right around 1000rpm i lose all power to radio, Heated Seats, climate control and the dash lights (except for the CEL and ABS lights which are now on). The car drives fine all exterior lights work except for the brights, but it feels like there is no top end. There is also a slight smell of chlorine???? or ozone???? that i cannot pin point where its coming from. Also it gave off a transmission code on the CEL, ill get the exact code tomorrow. So even wierdier when i come to a stop or just drop the revs to idle the power returns to normal and the CEL and ABS lights turn off.

Now this happened once or twice before the belt was replaced so i know it is not something the shop did, but it would always return to normal after a little while or by turning off the car. But now its happing all the time.

So what do you all think? Has Anyone else had a problem like this?

Voltage regulator part of alternator?
Bad Stereo install- Miswired or loose unconnected wires
Bad Ground-Possibly the transmission ground.

Thanks

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Hey all wonder if you guys can help!!!!

I have a e36 1992 318i manual.

A belt
was squeaking and i had it replaced.

Now when i start up my car the everything starts out OK until...

I step on the gas and right around 1000rpm i lose all power to radio, Heated Seats, climate control and the dash lights (except for the CEL and ABS lights which are now on). The car drives fine all exterior lights work except for the brights, but it feels like there is no top end. There is also a slight smell of chlorine???? or ozone???? that i cannot pin point where its coming from. Also it gave off a transmission code on the CEL, ill get the exact code tomorrow. So even wierdier when i come to a stop or just drop the revs to idle the power returns to normal and the CEL and ABS lights turn off.

Now this happened once or twice before the belt was replaced so i know it is not something the shop did, but it would always return to normal after a little while or by turning off the car. But now its happing all the time.

So what do you all think? Has Anyone else had a problem like this?

Voltage regulator part of alternator?
Bad Stereo install- Miswired or loose unconnected wires
Bad Ground-Possibly the transmission ground.

Thanks
Welcome to the Werkz......:)

These are usually signs of a bad alternator......... is the belt tension ok? Maybe that squeal was the alternator itself......

Get a multimeter & take some readings.........you should have about 12 volts with the engine not running,

then attach a voltmeter to your battery with the car running......
you should have 13.5 to about 14.5 volts engine running & nothing turned on & a little over 12 volts with everything turned on.......

Things you can do, remove your battery & fully charge it, then bring it to a Pep Boys or Advanced Auto parts store & have it load tested, if it checks ok!
and you still have a low voltage issue then the alternator is bad.....

jb :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.