BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Festivus yes, bagels no..
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read quite a bit about the whistling dif noises on e46's, but I'm not sure if mine is showing the same symptoms.

This noise started just about a month ago. You can only really hear it going 70 mph or so. It's a whistling like noise that is only there when your letting off the gas just a little bit. You have to be giving it SOME gas but not enough to maintain speed, do that make sense? So, you're decelerating but your still giving it little bit of gas. If you let off the gas peddle completely the noise is goes away. Or if you're on the peddle accelerating then the noise is also gone.

Any idea's?

It's an 2001 330i with 91k miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi mate, even this topic is preety old, I'm still posting here.

I got the same symptom with my E46 330d 5 speed trany and thought was differential, but suspected the gerbox as well. Under othe circumstances i changed the engine with the gearbox from another car and the noise dissapeared, and surprisingly, after 230000km the differential has no play at all. The problem is from gearbox.

This seems to come from the fact that the engine had a PowerBox installed for quite a while by the previous owner of the car, and that increased the torque of the engine to some 500Nm whereas the gearbox for this model supported 450Nn.

I took of the PowerBox and the Cars drives quite nicely at the moment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I'll have some spare time, i'll dismatle the gearbox to spot the faulty piece.
Most probably it is a ball bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts