BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I bought a new 330i this past saturday. Everything is fine, except for one thing. Every so often, I start hearing this soft whirring noise that sounds like it's coming from underneath the shifter (it's an automatic). The whirring gets faster as I accellerate, and slower when I decellerate. BMWs are so meticulously engineered that I'm pretty sure that sound isn't supposed to be there. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
well BMW's are well engineered but also cars that were made to work and communicate. thats why steering response and road response is so awesome in our cars. hearing sounds is kinda typical of our cars. you should here my car. people assume i have a supercharger because of the alternator and intake sound.
back to the question, is the whirring sound like metal to metal?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the sound isn't metal to metal. It's very soft sounding, like plasitc on vinyl or something. I haven't heard it in awhile, but like I said, it comes and goes. Everything else about the car is perfect. :D

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
could be nothing. i really wouldnt worry about it then . if it happens again lemme know. i was thinking the shifter linkage might have worn but it would be unusual on an e46

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
from your description "The whirring gets faster as I accellerate, and slower when I decellerate." makes me think that it could simply be the sound of air rushing under your car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts