BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Group.
I've a 2001 740il. When I run with the A/C on I have a whinning noise. It stops when I turn off the A/C. The dealer says this is normal. I don't understand how a car that sells for $70K new can have that noise.
Has anyone had this problem? I cannot find any TSB on it.
Thanks

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
sounds like your auxilery fan making too much noise, what does it sound like under your hood with the a/c on and off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the auxillary fan replaced because it was noisey. The whining goes away when the a/c is turned off and comes back when turned on.
Thanks

·
Registered
497 Posts
maybe it's the stepper motors which control the air directional flaps of your auto temp system. Been told this is a common problem with BMW 7 series. Will need to remove the entire dashboard to get to these motors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting,

I just dropped of my 2001 740i at the dealership for the same reason. The repair guy said it was a bad a/c compressor.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Originally posted by stonecutter@Dec 5 2003, 12:41 AM
Interesting,

I just dropped of my 2001 740i at the dealership for the same reason. The repair guy said it was a bad a/c compressor.
:blink:

i'd get a second opinion if that repair guy said the compressor was causing that sound. while the compressor may indeed be bad, that is most likely a separate problem.

if the compressor simply fails, you'll just get warm air, no whining sound. if the compressor bearing fails, it will be more of a grinding or metallic scraping sound.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
you guys have to tell your wives to get there heads out of the console, i mean come on how much whinning and nagging can one woman do!? :lol:

seriously desmo is right the compressor is the most expensive fix in the realm of a/c lots of mechanics ultimately try to sell you on this. believe me ive seen lots of cars come in with a new compressor and that customer wants us to fix the original problem because they hate the dealer for ripping them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts