BMW Werkz banner

Which one do i get

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  SpeedsterBMW 
#1 ·
Ok so i decided i am gettin a k&n filter, hopefully this weekend, i go to the site, and there is a bunch of kits and stuff to choose from, do i have to get a kit? is it better to get a kit? what do u guys suggest i get?

#5 ·
I would suggest getting the CAI kit instead of the drop-in K&N filter. I've read independent tests on the internet (and on this forum pre-crash) that set the drop-in filter to flow better, but also allow more dirt/dust/icky particles (i.e. - it flows better but protects worse than stock). This was based on surface area between the stock and K&N drop-in filters (the stock has more pleats therefore more material, therefore is chokes air flow but allows for better protection, they quoted sqaure footage of material for both but I'll be an uncle's monkey if I can remember it). The cone filters have a greater surface area and may offset the flow to protection issue. Keep in mind this is an opinion based on independent research and hearsay (you can never REALLY trust that someone did what they said they did).

Cheers!

#6 ·
Originally posted by GreenDragon@May 22 2003, 10:43 PM
I would suggest getting the CAI kit instead of the drop-in K&N filter. I've read independent tests on the internet (and on this forum pre-crash) that set the drop-in filter to flow better, but also allow more dirt/dust/icky particles (i.e. - it flows better but protects worse than stock). This was based on surface area between the stock and K&N drop-in filters (the stock has more pleats therefore more material, therefore is chokes air flow but allows for better protection, they quoted sqaure footage of material for both but I'll be an uncle's monkey if I can remember it). The cone filters have a greater surface area and may offset the flow to protection issue. Keep in mind this is an opinion based on independent research and hearsay (you can never REALLY trust that someone did what they said they did).

Cheers!
I remember that chat you had w/ that guy..Lord knows where that test is..

G
#8 ·
Originally posted by cardio@May 23 2003, 04:06 AM
I've been told CAI only adds 3 hp at the most?, Cant i get a CAI and k&n filter?
no cause the k&n drops into the airbox, where as with a CAI, you rremove the airbox...as for hP, expect around 7-10...i got about 15hp from my CAI for my M3

#9 ·
LoL you guys are silly a CAI can do no where near 15 hp at the wheels. 15 hp at the wheels is an incredible amount and a CAI will not get you there. It might do up to 7 maybe 10 with a big displacement engine but with a 2.5 engine that doesnt rev particularly high its not needed. The best bet for the money is getting a K&N cone filter and adapter on ebay for 40 bux and then making hosing yourself to either 1 reroute air or place the filter near the ground behind the bumper (which will get incredibly dirty and wet) And if anyone starts to complain that im wrong, tell me why a tubing will get you 15 hp and then supercharging will only get you 50-70 more and yet your almost pushing 5 times the amount of air in.

G
#10 ·
Originally posted by Fox@May 23 2003, 05:56 AM
LoL you guys are silly a CAI can do no where near 15 hp at the wheels. 15 hp at the wheels is an incredible amount and a CAI will not get you there. It might do up to 7 maybe 10 with a big displacement engine but with a 2.5 engine that doesnt rev particularly high its not needed. The best bet for the money is getting a K&N cone filter and adapter on ebay for 40 bux and then making hosing yourself to either 1 reroute air or place the filter near the ground behind the bumper (which will get incredibly dirty and wet) And if anyone starts to complain that im wrong, tell me why a tubing will get you 15 hp and then supercharging will only get you 50-70 more and yet your almost pushing 5 times the amount of air in.
i can rev to 8150 rpms....and i do have a dyno chart of a 2002 M3 gaing 15.1hp at the wheels....your obviously not familiar with the kind of CAI i am talking about...its not your average ECIS/Dinan setup

#11 ·
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW+May 23 2003, 05:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SpeedsterBMW @ May 23 2003, 05:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--cardio@May 23 2003, 04:06 AM
I've been told CAI only adds 3 hp at the most?, Cant i get a CAI and k&n filter?
no cause the k&n drops into the airbox, where as with a CAI, you rremove the airbox...as for hP, expect around 7-10...i got about 15hp from my CAI for my M3 [/b][/quote]
Yes, you can get a CAI (Cold Air Intake) and a K&N cone filter for it. Conversly you can also (this is working off of Foxs' suggestion) buy 3 inch PVC tube from Home Depot (or some place like that) with 45 or 90 degree angle connectors and make your own CAI to which you would only need to buy a cone filter to add on.

BTW - If it's a short tube it's really a RAM air, where as a CAI is usually longer and pulls cold air in from somewhere in the front fender (usually). Now if you got a heat sheild on you RAM air you almost have a CAI, but it needs to have a connecting tube from fender/front bumber to pull the cold air in (as opposed to using the air in the engine bay).

Ski - yeah, it was a hell of a long post, chock full of all kinds of goodies. Too bad it's lost :cry

#13 ·
yea, i really think that speedster lies almost as much as hang10.... all he ever does is talk big numbers that he supposedly "owns" 15hp will not be gained with a CAI. And why does your bm rev as high as the proffesional m3 raced on world circuits, yet yours is still street driven. oh yea.. because the tach doesnt go that high.

#14 ·
I find it hard to believe any HP gains over 3 for any CAI or RAM air intake. Maybe a little bit more with a reprogrammed ECU. Either way, can anyone explaine the difference between brands of intakes? Besides the obvious things like Brand X is made of carbon fiber while Brand Y is made of powder coated aluminum. Those things make a difference as far as air temp is concerned (allowing the air inside the tube to be cooler than ambient temp), but I can't see where they would make any other difference (especially if they are pulling in that same ambient temperature). IMO, the main difference between CAI and other short pipe aftermarket intakes is that cold air is denser than warm air, therefore more 'air' enters the engine. Wouldn't it make sense to pull that air from an area closer to the ground and farther from the heat of the engine bay?

For thought -

1) Assuming 3 inch diameter throttle body, would a three inch diameter run of the mill PVC pipe (or aluminum) not work as well as a three inch diameter brand name pipe? Why/Why not?

2) Assuming you are using a heat sheild, what gains would carbon fiber CAI have non-carbon fiber?

3) Assuming no heat sheild and short pipe aftermarket intake, what gains would you have if you are still pulling in the same temp air as the rest of the engine bay? Would it only be larger volume of air?

These things are what keep me from spending large amounts of money on a CAI (and other aftermarket products). I, for one, am not a brand whore. If Brand X works as well as Dinan\Hartage\Shnitzer what's the point of spending the extra money just for the name? It's the same shizzle, so what's the dizzle?

G
#15 ·
Originally posted by Fox@May 24 2003, 03:02 AM
yea, i really think that speedster lies almost as much as hang10.... all he ever does is talk big numbers that he supposedly "owns" 15hp will not be gained with a CAI. And why does your bm rev as high as the proffesional m3 raced on world circuits, yet yours is still street driven. oh yea.. because the tach doesnt go that high.
fox, you may know your E30 stuff, but dont argue with me on my E46 stuff....stock my engine redlines at 8000rpms....with the Dinan Stage 2 Software, it gets readjusted to 8150 rpms, and the speed goverener is removed

#17 ·
pwn accepted. Ill take that one gracefully i thought you had e36.

pwnzered was i

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.