BMW Werkz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm wanting to purchase my first bmw. :) just need some help to find a good one for me.

choice 1-
'96 318Ti
4 cyl, 5spd, 64k miles
$11k

choice 2-
'96 328is
V6, auto, 96k miles
$12500

choice 3-
'98 318i
5spd, 136k miles
$8k

choice 4-
'98 328is
M3 pkg, 5spd, 117k miles
$11k

also.. could someone tell me exactly what the ending letters in the model number are? like the T in 318TI and the S in 328is

thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
263 Posts
personally i think you should go with choice number 4. that is the best bang for ya buck. i am not sure with the ti stands for but i thick the 318ti's are hatchbacks but not sure and for the is. The is are 2 door and sporty look. In choice number 2 it says v6?? don't you mean inline 6?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Personally, I'd go with choice 4. I had a 328i sedan 5 speed (now have a 318 because of my budget), and it was great, lots of torque. Get the 328is, very good torque, and since it's a 98, alot of those miles are highway probably. Hope this helps :driving

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
errr I6? probaly, although it says V6 in the advertisement. Guess i should read up more on my bimmers.

Also.. if Furious reads this.. can you post more pics of your car? it looks awesome :) how much did you pay for it?

is there any real performance difference in the 325 vs 328?

and thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the performance difference in with the 2.5 VS 2.8 is about 1 second, due to the latter's larger torque output.

Im going to say #1 or #4. If insurance cost is a problem, or you prefer good gas mileage, or you plan on keeping the car a long time or heavily modifing the engine, #1 would be great.

If you want a lot power without mods and dont plan on upgrading the engine much and you can afford to pay more on the insurance, then #4 is an excellent buy.

The letters and numbers go like this:
first number is series
gennerall, the last two are the engine size, so a 318 is a 3 series with a 1.8 and a 328 is a 3 series with a 2.8. However, it is sometimes rounded or left the same due to the name already in place (96+ .18s are really 1.9s)
The letters get a bit more complicated. For the e36, I means fuel injected (FI), IS is FI coupe, IT is FI hatchback, IC is FI cabrio, IX is FI AWD, and TDS is turbo deisel. Other variants include E (economy), CIC (manual FI convertable), IL (FI long wheelbase), but none of these include the e36.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Remember that miliage is not really a dertermining factor when buying cars, at least not a make or break point. The biggest thing is age. I agree with almost everyone else if you can afford the inssurance go with #4 but if you want to/have the money to mod the car then go with #1. Don't be scared of the milliage on any of those cars, your buying a BMW not a ford. And yes it is definatly an inline 6cyl engine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the info! helped out a lot. Just have to convince my dad that i can pay for it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by bimerok@Jan 25 2004, 01:37 PM
Performance difference is: 2.5=~168HP 2.8 =~190HP
my 2.5 is rated for 189hp, i don't know about the 2.8 but they are about the same hp, the real difference is in the torque, where it comes in etc....someone correct me if i'm wrong though

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by bimerok@Jan 25 2004, 11:37 AM
Performance difference is: 2.5=~168HP 2.8 =~190HP
uh ya my 2.5 is 189 too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts