BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing the 10 disk changer that came with my recently purchased 95 318ti and all of a sudden I realize that the previous location (left side of the trunk) might not be the Ideal location. Hopefully one doesn't need to get to the tool set often but I can see where my current location is a little bit of a pain.
Where have you guys mounted your cd changers in your hatchback BMWs. :help
thanks
Ken

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot about posting this question a while back...
I haven't resolved this issue so, hopefully someone will chime in with some ideas.
Ken

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
is it factory HU PNP or RF modulated?

If it's the factory one, the wire will only reach so far. What's wrong with the factory location anyway?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's not a factory head unit... it's a Kenwood unit.

On a 528i I see that there's a special hidden panel where the factory unit is mounted. This way it doesn't intrude into the normal trunk space.
On another BMW (don't recall what model) the disk changer is sort of hanging from a shelf in the truck... again, not blocking any of the available trunk floor space.
The 318ti has a small trunk to begin with so mounting it on the floor of the trunk will interfer with my ability to safely put my golf clubs in there.
I was just curious where a factory changer is mounted or if someone has come up with an even beter mounting location.
Ken

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Oooooooo, I gotcha now.

Yes, all other BMWs I am aware of use some kind of mounting bracket that does not intrude into the cargo space. However, I have never seen a changer in a ti, and I don't know if there is a factory mounting point or not.

On any other hatchback I've seen, its always bolted to the floor. What I suggest you do is go to the good ole home depot, find some solid brakets and steel or aluminum (if you can cut it, if not, use wood) and fabricate a mounting bracket on the bottom of the rear shelf.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
You could also try a verticle mount on the side of the trunk or back of a seat to help save some cargo space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts