BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got underneath my car today to try to find the oil drain plug on my 328i. i see this huge cover covering the first third of the front of the bottom of the engine bay, and approximately near the center of this cover, i see a hole and through this hole appears to be a 17mm bolt head of some sort. is this the drain plug that i am looking for?? if not, then where the heck is it??

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It's on the passenger's side of the oil pan. Do you know what the oil pan looks like?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really. it's hard to tell where anything is with that cover in the way. do i have to remove this cover to see the oil pan and plug??

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Oh damn, I didn't realize this was e46 and not e36. Sorry bub, i gots an e36 so I'm 100% completely useless to you. MAYBE the e46 mod, or someone else, can answer your question for you ....

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Dec 18 2003, 12:14 PM
Oh damn, I didn't realize this was e46 and not e36. Sorry bub, i gots an e36 so I'm 100% completely useless to you. MAYBE the e46 mod, or someone else, can answer your question for you ....
i belive the e46 oil pan is not covered, check again. youll see the plug

·
Registered
497 Posts
phillips head screw driver will get that cover out of your way. There's like 6 or 8 (forget exactly) silver phillips head screws holding that cover on. They are 1/2 scres so just twist and they spring out. This will gain you access to the oil pan and on the side at the bottom is a 17mm drain plug. DON'T FORGET THE COPPER WASHER ON THE PLUG

·
Registered
497 Posts
depending on the year, there maybe an access "flap" which is secured by one quick release fastenener. But, that usually ends up with a mess anyway; easier to just remove it anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts