BMW Werkz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
My front wheel bearings makes some noises not much but still. I checked the wheel bearings and there is no play at all. Is it possible to take it apart and clean it from the old grease and repack it with new grease. Is it worth it or must l buy new ones.
Can this type of repair affect the functionality for DSC, ABS?
Is there anybody who have done this for E60 wheel bearing hub.

I would be very grateful if anyone got some info about this.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
They are sealed, and once you pull a bearing...chuck it, I would advise getting new ones, but are you sure its the bearings, how have you diagnosed its them ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Guys: I recently bought a new 2001 E39. It also had a rumbling noise which I figured out was bad cupping on the tires due to bad struts. It sounded like I was going over rumble strips found on the shoulder of the road.
Anyway, I found all this out after I replaced the bearings. You will need a very powerful impact wrench and the proper air pressure to remove these bolts. the lock tight that the factory used actually begins to bind as you remove the bolts. I once I got them backed out a little, I used a little pb blaster and then worked them in and out with the impact wrench until they eventually came out. I took lots of pictures of the process and replaced the struts, bearings, pads and rotors all at the same time. All very easy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pressing the new bearings on is a critical part of the process... you can't just hammer them on. Don't try to salvage the old bearing; get new ones. Although, if you're doing this yourself, it's just your time, your time is worth something. This is not like swapping out the bearings on the family Ford...it's complicated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pressing the new bearings on is a critical part of the process... you can't just hammer them on. Don't try to salvage the old bearing; get new ones. Although, if you're doing this yourself, it's just your time, your time is worth something. This is not like swapping out the bearings on the family Ford...it's complicated.
The front wheel bearing is bolted on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.