BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh... what the title asked :)

Oh, and by the way, I'm a new member here, and maybe (hopefully) will be getting an M3 or a WRX STi within this year. SO, it looks like a used M3 01 or 02 will be what I need. That is if the 01 comes with the SMG II. By the way, does the US have the S6 mode? I've heard yes, and no... OK thats enough questions from a noob like me. :bravo

·
Registered
179 Posts
smg ii came in 02. also 01 m3 will cost u 7k over an sti

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I know the BMW will be up to 20k more than the STi, I was just wondering what year I should be looking for cause the SMGII gearbox is simply awesome. Its a true manual/automatic conglomeration. The best of both worlds. I figure the cheapest i'll get away with a used 02 is about 40k. And thats used.... Man I'm confused... :idea2

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by KingScare@Jan 20 2004, 04:13 PM
is the SMG2 the one with those available "power starts" that void the warranty after a certain amount of uses??
yes SMG2 has S1-S6, and A1-A5, and also has launch control, slip recognition, gradient assistance, and F1 style shift lights. i think european models also got a 'burnout' mode which is like launch control except it dumps the clutch at 3.5k rpm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The SMGII has s1-s6, and a1-a5. The way you get to the s6 is by turning off the traction control (DSC). Once you press that button a new shift speed will come up (another bar) which is s6.

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
Originally posted by KingScare@Jan 20 2004, 04:13 PM
is the SMG2 the one with those available "power starts" that void the warranty after a certain amount of uses??
launch control

ad he said he was going used M3..... why not go for a true manual?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts