BMW Werkz banner

What type of BMW do you own? (Or previously owned)

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all . I'm new here and new to the BMW scene . I drive an old 525i with a 5spd. and I just love it . I've driven alot of cars but I do like my bimmer .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 530i.I need a new battery & am not mechanical. First I called the dealer & was quoted $350-$375. When I asked why they told me the battery was about $200 & the rest was resetting the car's computers & registration. Being the frugel guy I am,I called batterys Plus. They quoted me $150 for the battery & $12 installation. When I asked about the registration & resetting of the computers,they said they didn't know what I was talking about! I then asked if they had replaced a BMW battery before,they said,yes & no one ever came back & complained. Now i'm really confused.Then I stopped in at a German car speciality shop. They said they would charge $250 which included ressetting the computers but not registration. When I asked them what would happen if they didn't register the battery they said the charging system might overcharge the battery & I wouldn't get 5 yrs of life out of the battery I need a straight answer here before I go to the dealer & pay $475
Someone HELP!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will get 100% BS :shiftyfrom a Mercedes dealer. I was told I needed a complete gearbox overhaul and new electronics plus re programing for my A170 auto at a cost of 3,200€, actual cost 240€ for a first stage clutch! I have the battery off of the A170 for weeks on end so I can have it on trickel charge in the my workshop and I just plug it back in and everything is as was.
Not sure about the 530 but I am sure the memory is embeded in volotile ROM so it doesn't loose the settings (same as the BIOS on a PC, take the battery out and mains and the BIOS is still there when you reconnect.)
There is a way if your battery is still working and connected though.
use a pair of jumper leads and connect the new battery to the car earth and 12v
Remove the old battery, fit the new battery into the bay and connect the car's leads to it making sure you maintain contact at all times before removing the jumper leads.

·
Mr. Clean
1,817 Posts
I have a 2004 530i.I need a new battery & am not mechanical. First I called the dealer & was quoted $350-$375. When I asked why they told me the battery was about $200 & the rest was resetting the car's computers & registration. Being the frugel guy I am,I called batterys Plus. They quoted me $150 for the battery & $12 installation. When I asked about the registration & resetting of the computers,they said they didn't know what I was talking about! I then asked if they had replaced a BMW battery before,they said,yes & no one ever came back & complained. Now i'm really confused.Then I stopped in at a German car speciality shop. They said they would charge $250 which included ressetting the computers but not registration. When I asked them what would happen if they didn't register the battery they said the charging system might overcharge the battery & I wouldn't get 5 yrs of life out of the battery I need a straight answer here before I go to the dealer & pay $475
Someone HELP!!
The straight answer is this...

Drop in a quality battery (doesn't need to be OEM) and forget about it. I've never heard of "resetting" anything in the car or the battery might be "overcharged". The fact of the matter is batteries (even good ones) don't last that long. Especially if you live in an area that has extreme temperature changes throughout the year. Batteries that are subjected to harsh winters and hot summers will wear out a lot faster than a battery installed in a car in Southern California for example.

Since your 2004 is currently out of warranty (I'm assuming) never ever go back to the dealership for anything. Find a good indipendent mechanic who has experience on European vehicles or even better a shop that specializes in European vehicles. Not only will the labor rates be substantially lower but the quality of the work will also probably be better as most of those types of shops have experienced technicians who have OE training.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use the old Ford Australia trick, just in case, when changing batteries. Attach a 9 volt battery through the cigarette lighter leave ignition on accessory. Detach negative first then positive, keep leads isolated from each other and body. Install new battery. Remove 9 volt battery. No data lost. Use this method on E36. Works for me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
had a 1991 318is now currently own a 1998 M3. both havew been awsome and fun to drive. Also another fun car i had was a 1993 MR2 by toyota. it was turbocharged, i ended up blowing the engine. and after the rebuild the car never ran right again so i got rid of it.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts