BMW Werkz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
soap and products.

Just go to any store with an automotive department...heck even walmart and you'll find enough products do overdose on.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The following is based on my experience with a '83 Henna Red 320is that was still smooth as glass when I sold it in 1996.

If your paint/finish looks good I use Blue Coral soap/waxing products or Meguiar's.

If your paint/clear coat needs a minor bit of work, a very good pre-wax cleaner is Gel-gloss. This is a very gentle product though not specifically for cars and sold at Home Depot and other hardware stores. It works very well for gently rubbing out your ride to bring back that lost luster. Use a clean soft cloth to apply to small area and another clean soft cloth to buff. Do not apply to warm or hot metal.

If that doesn't work, try No 7 White Polishing Compound" (not the heavy duty). This is a little more abrasive than the Gel-gloss but won't harm a clear coat if you don't grind it in.

I use both of these products successfully on a regular basis, either by hand or with a buffer. They will not harm a clear coat if applied properly. If you use a buffer, practice on another car first.

For the interior I use "folex" carpet and fabric cleaner. you can find it at Home Depot. a gallon costs about $16. it works on your clothers as well.

For really stubborn bugs, road tar and other sticky stuff you might try "goo-gone" or "goof-off", both from Home Depot or your local hardward store. This is in liquid form and petrochemical so don't spill it on anything. This is not a polishing product so apply it with a **cue tip to cover only the affected area** and rub gently for awhile. This is a last resort cleaning method. Wipe off any residue as soon as possible.

You'll need to wax after each of these products is applied.
If you have any black rubber/hard rubber trim try Black Again to bring back the deep black color.

The above is based on my experience so, as always, when you try a new product test it in an inconspicuous spot first to determine if it works for you in your situation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Be VERY careful using Goof-off, it left some heinous swirls in my wife's car's clearcoat... I was able to get them out, but not without a LOT of work...

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I edited my previous post to include "apply with a cue tip over the affected area" since Goof-off can cause problems. Use carefully and only if everything else has failed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
One word: Meguiar's

·
Registered
497 Posts
Check out www.zaino.com

Best shine I've ever seen on my car and I've used alot of waxes/polishes. :D

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
check this wax test out: nsx. i found this link in another post but i don't remember the poster's name. Sorry.

·
Registered
990 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
So Goof-off is bad. I see. HOw about Goo Gone? I got a bottle at home, but I have never tried it on my car. I have some small bit of stubborn tar at the front spoiler of my car. I have been rubbing but nothing works. Should I try a clay bar first? :thud

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Goo gone and goof off are the same. I use it very sparingly to remove tar. I put it on a q-tip or paper towel and try to rub only the area with the tar. Gotta wax after that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts