BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news and.... bad news....

Good news:
I've managed to confirm that my CPO 525iT has the self level system!

Bad news:
My on board computer has just warned me that my self level system is not active. :blink:

Last night I drove to a client's office (I was running on vapor). When I started the car to leave, the computer states that my self leveling system was offline. The car ran the same, no noticeable change in the ride. After stopping for gas, the warning did NOT reappear on the computer. When I got home, locking the door with the remote the car didn't "beep". After unlocking the car (beep, beep).... I locked it again, this time it beeped. I pressed the check systems button, everything seems to be fine. Have any of you had this happen to you? I'll be taking the family to Vegas this weekend. Warning likes annoy me.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Im really unsure of what would cause that, although i know i get false error messages somewhat often.. I doubt it was related to the gas level though, but maybe im wrong

btw... how do you tell if the car has the self leveling suspension or not? <hoping mine doesnt>

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
lol, ok good... my instruction book keeps talking about it, but im guessing its on the m5 now. i fell better now (i want new shocks) :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spOrky,

I don't know how to tell if the self-leveling system is there. I had gone to a shop to inquire about lowering the car with coil-overs and they couldn't tell if I had the system or not. I didn't even know there was such a system for the car until the guy at the shop asked me. I only found out I had the system when the computer sent the error message :confused .

Now that I know I have it..... how would I lower the car? Would installing sway bars effect the system? :idea2 How does the self leveling system work? Air? Hydraulic? Mechanical? :help

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i believe when you want to lower a car with the self leveling system, you have to bypass it... i think its on this forum somewhere...

i heard some people say it was air and some say it was hydraulic, so im not too sure how it works, hopefully someone else can help :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Actually E34's can have self leveling suspensions, I mean E24's had them 88 and after. I heard that when they go defective, the best thing to do is just get rid of the self leveling suspension system itself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh.... well thats just great! I hope mine isn't bad then but if it has to go bad I hope it goes bad now while the warrantee still applies. But what's so bad about the self-leveling system?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts