BMW Werkz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up a donor car tonight (325is). only problem is i probably cant have the extra car laying around for more than a week or so, so i need to yank the goods asap.

**question**
what all do i need to pull out to do the engine swap?

FYI the rest will be parted out so stay posted so i can let you guys know whats up for grabs.

· Registered
781 Posts
can you rent a spot at a garage?

being overseas, that's what i would have to do.

you don't want to rush something that big...unless your a pro and do it all the time...then no worries.

it's a 325 to 325 right?

· Registered
781 Posts
hmmm....is the transmission going to line up?

i believe the 318 has a 4 cyl right? and i know that the 325 has a 6, but i'm not sure if the equipment will fit.

the exhaust will probably have to be custom made, but other than that i'm not experienced enough to say...

either way, i would love to see tons of pics to keep up with your progress!

:picsorban

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its 325 to 318, i dont need to install it all right away, i just need to get all the stuff ripped out so i can send the rest to the junk yard

heads up guys i im about to post an entire interior in the classifieds

· Premium Member
12,082 Posts
Off the top of my head, I guess you'll need:

- engine
- transmission
- exhaust manifold/catalytic converter/exhaust
- engine electronics and all associated wiring harnesses.
- intake/airbox
- entire cooling system
- differential :dunno

You'll definitely need the stuff above. I don't know what else I am missing. You may want to just gut out the entire engine bay and hold on to everything in there.

· Premium Member
12,082 Posts
I double-checked and just want to add something. See, the 318i was fitted with the Getrag S5D 200 G transmission up to 9/1992, but then they started using the Getrag S5D 250 G. The 325i always used the Getrag S5D 250 G.

If you have the 250, you're good to go. I don't know what the spec differences are between the 200 vs the 250, but I think they should bolt right on to the engine. I'd try to make sure that if you have the 200 (most likely, since I see your car is a 1992 model year), that it can handle the torque from the M50 engine.

You should be fine, but I can't make you any guarantees. Run a few online searches. You're bound to find tons of useful info.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.