BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 97 328i what's the percentage of me having a cracked head are the heads strong on these motors? and what causes a head gasket to go

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
I got 97 328i what's the percentage of me having a cracked head are the heads strong on these motors? and what causes a head gasket to go
Basically, when the engine overheats to the point to where it is in the red & the driver pushes it to the limit & keeps running it........ then the head warps! So, if you have an overheating issue, never keep the engine running.

jb :)

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Thanks johnny, so most likely I'm gunna have to get my head remachined

Yes, if the head is not that bad they will machine & resurface the head!

Have you confirmed it is the head gasket leaking?

jb

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No but since I'm getting coolant in the oil there's nothing else it can be just try to figure out how much $ it could take to fix if its even worth it

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
No but since I'm getting coolant in the oil there's nothing else it can be just try to figure out how much $ it could take to fix if its even worth it
Did you have an overheating issue with the car or did you purchase it with this coolant in the oil issue?

Is the rest of the car in good shape......how much did you pay for the car, how much it will cost to fix, these are all the questions you have to ask yourself.......

jb

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Bought like that never over heats its in good cond I paid 3k
Roughly going to be about 2k to fix.......where are you seeing the coolant in the oil?

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is also a chance that you have cracked the block. If the water jackets in the block are cracked through then water will drop right into the oil. It all depends on what happened after it got hot. The moments after an overheat are very critical to the extent of damage caused by overheating. You may consider just getting a replacement motor to drop in. Usually when engines get hot and heads and gaskets get replaced, then engine loses quite a bit of power due to the entire engine getting extremely hot. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts