BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post! Hello you guys, I have a 94' 325i sedan.

In the past two days I've experience this weird scratching sound underneath my car, something like scraping dead leaves and glass against the pavement, but way louder. This usually happens when I take a sharp turn to give the car some G forces. Then it stops in about a minute, ended by something that sounds like a shattering light bulb.

The only thing I have done the past few days was install some 100W bulbs in my lowbeams with stock wiring and the regular fuses. Will this have negative effects on my car? If so, what fuses should I replace them with?

I have also noticed that my interior lights no longer automatically shut off when I lock my doors and activate the alarm. I think this may be an electrical problem related to the scratching sound.

Do you think the more powerful bulbs could generate enough current draw to mess up my electrical system? This might mess it up so that my lights no longer automatically shut off? I am also concerned if this is a suspension issue since the sound only comes from the back right or front left of my car. I'll try to isolate the general location of the sound today.

Thank you
-Gary

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
hey gary, welcome to the forums,,, secondly when you replaced the bulbs did you do so because they blew up? there could be shards left in the headlight housing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I just upgraded to some cheap fake xenon bulbs. Is it bad to run 100W bulbs with stock e36 electronics? That's all I want to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 94 325i sedan and have used high wattage bulbes in my low beams,high beams, and fog lights for about a year now with no problem at all. I think your other problems need more investigating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts