BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Fortune Magazine:

Ever wonder why so many new cars—Vue, Prius, Sportage—have meaningless, made-up names? Look at the trouble Volkswagen has run into after deciding to name its new SUV after a tribe of Saharan nomads that dates to the 11th century: the Touaregs (sometimes spelled "Tuaregs"). The tribe is known in Europe for its ability to survive in hostile environments—a perfect quality for an SUV, or so VW reasoned. But it turns out that while the Touaregs have some picturesque customs (men wear blue veils in the presence of women and carry intricate swords), they historically followed another, less attractive one: They were notorious slave owners and traders until the beginning of the 20th century.

For VW dealers in the U.S., who had already voiced their objections to the obscure, hard-to-pronounce name—they preferred something catchier, like "SUVW"—the slavery issue added injury to insult. German executives insisted on staying the course. "We deplore any society's past history of slavery," says a U.S. spokesman for VW. "Unfortunately, nearly all cultures have it in their pasts, including our own." Sure makes you nostalgic for the Chevy Bel Air and Buick Riviera.

:alky

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
that suv is awesome. the name sounds like it's missing an n. it should be TOURANG. that sounds much better. interesting story too.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Originally posted by DesmoBob@Jul 22 2003, 12:23 PM
for non-suv i like chevy no va :)
For those that don't know what your talking about, the Nova didn't sell well in Mexico becuase no va means "no go". :lol:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
ya kno when the Toureg was being produced, the similar Porsche Cheyenne was already done and was ready for sale. Evil VW told Porsche to hold the sale until the Toureg was ready. Gheyness. I cant believe VW has relationships (strong or weak) with porsche, bugatti, lambourghini, audi, and umm....am i missing anything else?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Maybe to avoid offending anyone, they should call it the P.C. (Politically Correct) Cruizer. ;)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by SoonerE39@Jul 24 2003, 06:38 PM
Maybe to avoid offending anyone, they should call it the P.C. (Politically Correct) Cruizer. ;)
HA! :lol:

The new Touareg by VW, big enough to carry all your slaves where ever you go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by woobiee@Jul 22 2003, 06:25 PM
I cant believe VW has relationships (strong or weak) with porsche, bugatti, lambourghini, audi, and umm....am i missing anything else?
VW actually owns Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Audi, Skoda and Seat.

Wasn't the original name of the VW SUV supposed to be the Colorado?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Originally posted by woobiee@Jul 22 2003, 07:25 PM
ya kno when the Toureg was being produced, the similar Porsche Cheyenne was already done and was ready for sale. Evil VW told Porsche to hold the sale until the Toureg was ready. Gheyness. I cant believe VW has relationships (strong or weak) with porsche, bugatti, lambourghini, audi, and umm....am i missing anything else?
porsche is still independent for the most part

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw+Jul 24 2003, 04:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bob Loblaw @ Jul 24 2003, 04:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-woobiee@Jul 22 2003, 06:25 PM
I cant believe VW has relationships (strong or weak) with porsche, bugatti, lambourghini, audi, and umm....am i missing anything else?

Wasn't the original name of the VW SUV supposed to be the Colorado? [/b][/quote]
I think GM snatched up the Colorado name ahead of them for the upcoming replacement for the s-10 pickup

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
well VW is just trying to pick up from where the fuhrer left off. instead of european land domination they are going for european auto domination. something about those power hungry germans. damn sweet cars though

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is a Toyota Colorado in the UK

·
Registered
429 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw@Jul 24 2003, 04:17 PM

I think Skoda was going to come to the U.S....I guess there's no point cuz the VW modles are exactly the same. When I went to Austria we drove around in a Skoda Octavia ....it's exactly like the passat wagon :blink:

·
Registered
560 Posts
not to burst anyones bubble (ignorance) but all the car companies in the world are owned by a handful of big companies. Ford owns volvo and lots more. Gm owns, caddy, chevy, and many many others. VW owns the companies stated above, and BMW owns rolls royce and a couple of others.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
from the top of my head this is what i can think of (list doesnt mean ownership, it could mean relationship too)

Ford=volvo, jag, aston martin, mazda, lincoln, mercury, land rover
GM=buick, caddy, chevy, hummer, oldsmobile, saturn, pontiac, saab
VW=begatti, lambo, audi, porsche, skoda, seat
BMW=mini, rolls, rover, and they used to own land rover
Chrysler=jeep? benz?
Toyota=lexus....any other?
Honda=Acura...any other?
Nissan=Infinity..any other?
I think Hyundai and Kia are related

1 - 20 of 21 Posts