BMW Werkz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to fix my car? It starts and idles fine. When I step on the gas, it vibrates, does matter how fast i am going, when i coast, it goes away! please help

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
It would help if you specified what model, year etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no accidents or anything, from what i researched on the internet, i am thinking that i need to replace the cv joints or boots ? Not sure but the vibration is only when i step on the gas. when i coast or am just at idle the vibration is gone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i checked the drive shaft, it appears there is some play where the drive shaft attatches to the cv joint. i am going to look under my 3 series when it gets home to see how much play is in that one. Hopefully i can change out the cv joint without going to the dealer. They wont even look at my car for under 150 bucks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wayne 0, did you ever fix it? if yes, what was the problem?
my 325xi sounds like it has a same problem like the one you r describing.
mine also shakes when accelerating in any gear, but not al the time...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
525 I is fixed

Thanks everyone for all the help and articles. Turns out that my problem was the drive shaft. Apparently there is a gasket that holds packed in grease on the side that is attached to the rear of the car. It was completely dry and ruined my drive shaft. I purchased an aftermarket one (came with new gasket and grease installed by powertrain) from powertrain industries, 3336 spring Stuebner Suite S, Spring TX 77389. It was about 400 plus a 75 dollar core return credit - so like 325. It was hard to replace. Just had to drop the exhaust about a foot. I was able to get to all the bolts. Out with the old and in with the new in about 2hours. Now that i know what i am doing it should really only take about an hour. Good luck , hope this helps someone else!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts