Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Springs

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on what I should do to my car, i estimate that each thing, thought out thoroughyl, costs a little under 500$ for each choice, which is about how much I have to spend. Please take it seriously, and what would be an actual good improvement to the car. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by spiff325is@Feb 5 2004, 11:37 PM
I need some help on what I should do to my car, i estimate that each thing, thought out thoroughyl, costs a little under 500$ for each choice, which is about how much I have to spend. Please take it seriously, and what would be an actual good improvement to the car. Thanks!
i meant to vote on chip but i voted on exhuast. oops :drunk

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i chose shocks too. get some koni sport adjustables :thumbs order from ground control to get the top adjustable rears

·
Registered
38 Posts
I choose new exhaust because it made a big differiance if your exhaust is not i good shape. I have change my this week and what a fun i have now -=)
But if is your exhaust is nice...umm the chips will do a nice power upgrade -)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I voted for a chip, but shocks were not too far behind. I think they both add to the fun factor. Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If sway bars are anti roll bars, then the standard eibach kit uses exactly the same size diameter as your 325is, so its really worthless. you'd need M3 (but there weld in) anti roll bars.

go for the cylinder head and cam.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Spiff325is....what was your choice and have you done anything yet?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by tourist101@Feb 25 2004, 02:21 PM
If sway bars are anti roll bars, then the standard eibach kit uses exactly the same size diameter as your 325is, so its really worthless. you'd need M3 (but there weld in) anti roll bars.

go for the cylinder head and cam.
no they arent. the M3 has the front mounts welded to the struts, but the actual sway bar is 1mm thinner than the 325i bar, and you can use the 325 sway bar with either setup. the biggest front sway bar is 21mm found in the cabrios for the rear, the M3 sway bar is only 1-2mm thicker, and would be a direct swap. the most popular aftermarket sways are Eibach, ST, and Ireland Engineering, and all would need to have rear reinforcement mounts bolted or welded under the trunk to support the thicker rear bars.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up getting a nice UUC Short SHifter with an M shift nob. Its realy nice, and i Had my control arms, shock mounts, and bushings replaced so its running like a champ on roids. It really is nice now, the shift throw is like 3 inches, its so nice. Thanks for the input, it really is appreciated. Though I wanted to get a chip and stuff, something to increase HP didnt seem to appealing to the parental, so I went with the short shifter. THANKS A BUNCH :cheers :p

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is a little pic of what I got

Attachments

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the nob..it isnt a good pic, you really have to see it and feel it

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Good drivin' to ya! :driving

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
195.95, and whats suprising, is I actually got it in like 2 days, usually UUC ships their shit in like 4 months, but Bimmertoys.com is a real good place to shop :rock :yup

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It seems everyone is going with voting for the chip but personally i think the chip is a waste of money if your still in highschool (or in the first 2 years of college) just because now you have to buy premium gas and it doesnt even get you that much of an increase in power for the price. True, to do any other mods to the engine you MUST have a chip for them to be effective because the stock ECU doesnt have an addaptive fuel curve but for a chip alone its a waste.

Spend your money on a rear sway bar, some decent 14inch stock tires (bf goodrich has the thickest sidewall i can find, and for $58 a tire too!) Get a strut brace from IE, and if you can afford it get a 4.1 lsdifferntial. These will be the biggest help from your car in my opinion for the Absolute least amount of money.

As for that shifter. good luck with it but i kinda find it a waste that you spent all that money when you could have gotten one for $60 at BMW.

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
i did chip springs and exhaust and electric fan with under $500....i got the chip from egay $50 and muffler from egay $40 and had custom bent 2.25" tubing done at the shop down the street $80 and the springs were H&R sport springs for a 318 so they actually lowered my car more 1.9" front - 1.8" rear $100(they were a demo pair used for one auto x) and a high performance electric fan for $150...search around yet do things right....you can make a niiiiice ride for cheap..

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by Fox@Feb 26 2004, 05:22 PM
It seems everyone is going with voting for the chip but personally i think the chip is a waste of money if your still in highschool (or in the first 2 years of college) just because now you have to buy premium gas and it doesnt even get you that much of an increase in power for the price. True, to do any other mods to the engine you MUST have a chip for them to be effective because the stock ECU doesnt have an addaptive fuel curve but for a chip alone its a waste.

Spend your money on a rear sway bar, some decent 14inch stock tires (bf goodrich has the thickest sidewall i can find, and for $58 a tire too!) Get a strut brace from IE, and if you can afford it get a 4.1 lsdifferntial. These will be the biggest help from your car in my opinion for the Absolute least amount of money.

As for that shifter. good luck with it but i kinda find it a waste that you spent all that money when you could have gotten one for $60 at BMW.
i agree with most of what you said fox. however i dont think aftermarket chips have adaptive fuel curves, but i dont know for sure :dunno . as for the short shift kit, i got most of what you got (spiff) with UUC for $56 shipped from BMA with their Z4 SSK, i just thought UUC gave you a new carrier aswell but it wasnt pictured. IE and Sparco strur braces are both good choices for strut braces, and the 4.10 lsd imo is purely for preference. it can hurt you or it can help you based on your driving style, i presonally have no intention on ever getting a 4.10 diff becuase i think the 5speed tranny's 1st gear is too short to begin with and another reason is 5th gear is already right where i like it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yea, the 4.1 is purely preference. I totally agree, i think 1st is to short and 5th is perfect and if anything could be a tad lower. But for certain it will get you the most power for the money.

And as for the chip... I cant speak for all of them but i guess i had the Jim C one in mind when i said the adaptive fuel curve. Thats why you hear stories of guys installing them and having horrible performance the first day. Jim Cs the man.

And i dont think any companies give you a new carrier with a SSK. I might have seen one that replaces the hole thing once but that was for over a grand if i remember correctly?

I did find this one cool little gadget. I think its very ingenious. Might be a nice add on to make the z4 3.0 shifter even shorter than thought possible lol
Ebay shift add on

·
Registered
3 Posts
MrM3 - My point was that eibach kits use the same diameter anti roll bars as a 325is, so there isnt any point in buying the kit if you have a 325is.

And as for the M3 anti roll bar, the bar its self isnt welded in (like you said) but the mounts are (like you said) welded in. But they woulndt fit a 325is without modification. And they are thinner cause ones hollow and the other is solid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts