BMW Werkz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok is the only difference between the 2 that one is air intake and the other isnt. i mean i kinda think that not all too it obviously but wat elses is different. and supercharged is air intake right... so then wat is turbocharged. how do both work? :help

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
have you asked this question before?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
they do the same thing. compress air going into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
a supercharger unless its hooked up to a centrifugal clutch is basically consistant power thru all rpm ranges but you sacrifice a lil top end to it.. its also only used on high compression engines..

a turbo spools up power and then releases it at a certain rpm and holds it. turbo's are for top end (high speed) power. its also used on low compression engines..

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you have a six cylinder or bigger, youd want to go with a super charger, but if you have a four cylinder, then get a turbo. the four bangers produce more pressure in the exhaust than larger engines do. and the more pressure thats built up, the sooner that turbo will spool up, producing more hourse power sooner.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
wtf gave you that idea?

the only reason most 4s are turbed is because they dont make enough compression to be super charged... hence low compression engines for turbo's not becuase of the back pressure in the exhuast.. :screwy

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Originally posted by sakuramboo@Nov 26 2003, 02:14 AM
if you have a six cylinder or bigger, youd want to go with a super charger, but if you have a four cylinder, then get a turbo. the four bangers produce more pressure in the exhaust than larger engines do. and the more pressure thats built up, the sooner that turbo will spool up, producing more hourse power sooner.
hah, were do you get your information from, the bottom of a cracker jack box?? shitass. Turbo's are used on 4 cylinder engines to boast power and torque without having to increase the size of the engine, as well as still be very conservative on gas mileage. It has nothing do do with they work better on 4 cylinders than 12 cylinders, because there's a number of 10 and 12 cylinder engines that come equipt with bi-turbo's, or even v6 and v8's, Lotus Esprite V8 TT, Audi A4, A6, Mercedes CL55 V12 bi-turbo, buggati EB110 v12 quad turbo's, not to mention supra's I-6 Twin turbo, skyline I-6 Twin turbo. It can go on forever, size doesn't matter for shit. don't post shit that you can't back up with proof, especially in tech area's, cause it throws off people looking for real answers. fartsmeller

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
this ownage brought to you by CBA and bimmerfan620..

thank you come again..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Originally posted by CBA@Nov 26 2003, 12:59 PM
this ownage brought to you by CBA and bimmerfan620..

thank you come again..
A... Fuckin men brother. :rock

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
w00t#29, lol, well thnax guys. so wat do u mean it uses the exaust for turbocharged? i thought it had like an air intake or somethin. is that just way off?

and no i havent posted this question b4.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by CBA@Nov 25 2003, 11:37 AM
a supercharger unless its hooked up to a centrifugal clutch is basically consistant power thru all rpm ranges but you sacrifice a lil top end to it.. its also only used on high compression engines..

a turbo spools up power and then releases it at a certain rpm and holds it. turbo's are for top end (high speed) power. its also used on low compression engines..
the amount of lag depends on the size of the turbo. a small to mid size turbo will kick in pretty early but trail off and create alot of heat in the top end, a larger turbo will have a larger boost threshold but will give more power, and run cooler. one example of the lag vs heat comprimise is the air cooled porsche 993 turbo

·
Registered
126 Posts
turbo takes air in compresses it, and thats pretty much how it works w/out gett ing too complicated :gulp .....ive driven my friends turbo volvo 740, u could feel the turbo kick in w/the boost, and even though its a kinda weak car, u could still feel the boost, which made it feel pretty nice, but since its a not too serious of a turbo, i think u dont really feel the lag as mcuh, cause when theres not as much to be lagged?????? correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
20 Posts
A turbo is like a motor. The motor (turbo) has a fan that pushes air into the air intake. The motor itself is driven by exhaust gasses that force it to spin. Since the turbo needs the gasses to turn, the engine must first be under load. (petal to the metal) that,s where the lag comes from. Hope I didn't over simplify this too much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by Colicious@Dec 2 2003, 10:58 AM
turbos are generally for higher RPM's, where superchargers are generally all around
it depends when u want the boost to kick, most turbos only really lag in serious cars, what most people think is turbo lag isnt its just ur car working, if there was not turbo afterwords there wouldnt be the extra boos, youd stay going at that "lag pace"- w/a turbo theres a boost of torque

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
There are tradeoffs in both systems. In theory, a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive
quote from another website, the other major difference is that one uses exhaust gas to produce power, and the other is belt driven

1 - 19 of 19 Posts