BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so pardon my ignorance on BMW's, I'm a Nissan and Mazda guy. Anyhow, has anyone turboed an E34? Did search and saw the Alpina. That is too mild for me. Me want more juice. :D
A custom exhaust manifold and Garrett GT40R would suffice my power needs.
So I have a few questions about the E34 as I believe this is great platform to build on but I'm debating either the E34 or a 190E 16V Benz.
E34 Pros:
3.5Liter SOHC (torque monster)
5 Speed Getrag tranny (bulletproof)
limited slip differential (what ratio again?)
Safe (dual front and side air bags)

Cons:
3500lbs (heavy)
any electrical problems? German cars are notorious for these

1. What is compression ratio of engine
2. Are there any piggy backs to bolt on to ECU? or do I have go stand alone?
(I aint paying no big bucks for a generic performance chip) I'd go Microtech, Haltech, or other stand alone and have the flexibilty when upgrading performance equipment.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a guy here locally that has an E34 with the Alpina motor and big turbo with DTA standalone pushing around 600 HP to the wheels. 500RWHP will be good enough for me. I'm just curious if the internals and head gasket can stand up to that kind of power levels.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Stock e34 535s and up contain much more "juice" than any nissan or mazda or the same time, but with a chip and filter my 535 should be pushin ~240 hp. Enoguh get up and go for me, but if I was goin big, a supercharger is for me. Turbos are too complicated for me, I just like to have a belt driven thing thats not such a big hassle...

·
Registered
16 Posts
dunno if those power levels requiore a built bottom end or not.... interested in hearing some replys

btw nissan guys unite :rock i love my 240

1 - 6 of 6 Posts