BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a question about superchargers and turbos, what do they work off of, is it just some device hooked up to the air-intake, cause if thats the way it is, i don't think one of those should cost so much, all it is is a crazy vacum on reverse, a particularly small one at that, and how much does turbo or s/c cost 1k+? craziness... maybe im just totally retarded, but to me, thats what seems to give good performance gains, a lot associated with air intake, various openings- if im wrong correct me, just trying to establish a good base for knowledge, if you were real handy, could you just hook ur motor up to something that sucks air to ur intake, through the special filter, and into ur engine, would that do anything, is that the definition of forced induction? i know this sounds scrrabled but i need to know what everyone's view is on this

·
Registered
4,708 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
turbochargers and superchargers are air pumps in all simplicity. superchargers use belts to spin the compressor while turbochargers use exhaust air. they force more air into the intake manifold. for instance the Top FUel dragsters use a supercharger and get 6000+hp from 500 c.i. of displacement. they are not just crazy vacuums put into reverse but high flow compressors designed to shove insane amounts of air into the intake manifold. more air+more fuel= more explosive chemical reaction

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lwebb12 -
so what do they put the air into, is it a totally aftermarket part or is it just the air intake with some device capable of forcibly inducing and compressing unnatural amounts of air? explain this to me, i need to know, so that i can be familiar w/the principles/logistics of s/c & turbos, btw, what coast are u from webb?

·
Registered
310 Posts
yer when i frst read about them i couldnt figure them out, but yer in a way force feeding the engine with air

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Originally posted by ehlpitel@Oct 14 2003, 08:45 AM
lwebb12 -
so what do they put the air into, is it a totally aftermarket part or is it just the air intake with some device capable of forcibly inducing and compressing unnatural amounts of air? explain this to me, i need to know, so that i can be familiar w/the principles/logistics of s/c & turbos, btw, what coast are u from webb?
ok the air intake is first. this is where the air is drawn into. then the turbo or supercharger. this compresses the air. it then goes into the intake manifold. from there the air is routed through the individual passageways into the cylinders via intake valves. the turbo is after the air intake. all these parts can be stock or aftermarket. the intake filter area is not what makes the large gains. the turbo and supercharger make the large gains and that is why they are pricey. i am on east coast now. moving to west coast in february

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
pic of turbocharger

Attachments

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
plumbing work for turbo setup. i omitted the intercooler in explanation because it isnt necessary though it does add HP

Attachments

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
this is exploded view of turbo

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the turbo takes the filter and compresses it, it seems like the compression of the air is what gives performance gains, am i wrong? after that it goes into parts of the car that are stock should they also be replaced?, then after the compression it puts it through the intercooler which makes the air presumably colder, ie better, which is where i guess the hp comes from as well, then after the intercooler it heads into the cylinder and whatnot, but from looking at the 2nd pic, the turbo takes in the cylinder's used air? thats fuckin crazyass shit

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i highly suggest getting the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell to learn everything you wanna know about turbochargers :thumbs

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Originally posted by ehlpitel@Oct 14 2003, 03:33 PM
so the turbo takes the filter and compresses it, it seems like the compression of the air is what gives performance gains, am i wrong? after that it goes into parts of the car that are stock should they also be replaced?, then after the compression it puts it through the intercooler which makes the air presumably colder, ie better, which is where i guess the hp comes from as well, then after the intercooler it heads into the cylinder and whatnot, but from looking at the 2nd pic, the turbo takes in the cylinder's used air? thats fuckin crazyass shit
the cylinders used air as you say is what drives the turbo. but the rest is correct it compresses the filtered air. then send to intercooler if you have one. you are correct about intercooler. what you would need that isnt stock will be exhaust manifold so you can add turbo. plumbing for the turbo and needed accessories.

·
Registered
537 Posts
no the bigger explosion gives you more power, more air allows more fuel to burn which gives you more power... which is the same reason the intercooler helps it cool the air which makes the molecules stick closer together, which lets you take in more air...more air=more oxygen=more fuel able to be burnt=more power. the "cylinders used air" is called exhuast it has no oxygen sense this is being shot out of the cylinder at a high velocity it can thus be used to spin a fan which is connected to the oppistite part of a turbo that crams more air into the cylinder, but the exhuast is not reused... :bravo

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that seems to make sense- so the air flows through the waste gate, which in turn helps power the turbine, so if u were to have a high waste gate setting(if its adjustable) then youd be able to access more power to the turbo, easier?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
you wanna know about turbos and superchargers then ask triggerhappi. hes the man to help you on that front. i know quite a bit about both but not like he does.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ya, Trigg is a great guy to ask about forced induction

Does anyone know what is the best deal on a turbo or supercharger setup? what do they go for right now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Turbo setups are usually more expensive but the yields can be greater than a supercharger.

You are probably looking at $3k plus for a supercharger setup. Probably more like $5k for turbo.

A supercharger is driven by a belt connected to the crank pulley (the same thing that drives your alternator, power steering pump etc). It is similar to a turbo in that it is a pump which forces air into the engine but there are fewer modifications required to install one. Turbo needs modified exhaust system, modified air intake wastegate, fuel delivery, ecu. Supercharger needs a mounting bracket, belt and pulley along with modifications to air intake (not intake manifold-although these are often changed for more efficient design favoring use with forced induction). You can also benefit from changing the cam and exhaust system when adding forced induction. There are also a couple different types of supercharger, roots type which replaces the intake manifold and a centrifugal type which is mounted up near the front of the engine like an alternator.

There is waaay waaay too much information to be learned about the differences than can be explained here though. I've barely scratched the surface and I'm just knowledgeable about such things.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts