BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just started working on a 94 325i for my kid. The guy before me had the front lowered some and I want to get it back up to normal height given the cruddy roads around here.

Following the instructions in the 101 Performance Projects for your BMW book, I took the left front strut off, compressed the spring, popped it apart and put the OEM spring on. The trouble I have is that now the overall assembly is app. 3" longer than before and I can no longer get it to line up properly for re-mounting it.

I can get the control arm to drop some with my body weight, but not enought to get the strut into place.

Am I doing something really boneheadedly wrong and/or do I need to do more disassembly of the suspension to make this work?

·
W00T
2,714 Posts
I had this issue with my 318 when i removed the assembly and replaced it with OEM springs.

You have to reinstall them with the spring compressors still on. Atleast that's how i got it to work. If you think about it when the suspension is fully extended there should still be some spring left. You shouldnt have to compress too much, but just a little.

·
Registered
849 Posts
what kind of spring compressor are you using?

if it's the professional wall mounted one...you're going to have some trouble.

hopefully it's one of those little one's you can rent from Kragen or Pepboys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts