BMW Werkz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, need more advice here :

my 03 325i has 100k miles, never done a transmission flush...

1. Should i get it done ?

2. what is the benefits of doing so ? will shifting be smoother??

Thanks for all the answers.

· Registered
21 Posts
yes, drain and fill even with lifetime fluids you need to change. have you ever heard what lifetime in milage meant? although there are serveral debates on this topic lifetime usually means 100,000 - 150,000 miles after 150,000 I would change fluids and filter (and clean magnets) because I have seen where the magnets look like they cannot pick up any more matelic sludge. then the filter gets clogged . all transmissions will wear and have matelic sludge. If you ask the dealer they will tell you NEVER change lifetime fluids. It is sort of a debate . PERSONALLY I would change at 100,000 - 150,000 miles as regular maint. If you have transmission trouble changing fluid will not help whatever damage is done is done and has to be fixed. Pull the trans and fix before it gets worse!

· Registered
42 Posts
yes, drain and fill even with lifetime fluids you need to change. have you ever heard what lifetime in milage meant? although there are serveral debates on this topic lifetime usually means 100,000 - 150,000 miles after 150,000 I would change fluids and filter (and clean magnets) because I have seen where the magnets look like they cannot pick up any more matelic sludge. then the filter gets clogged . all transmissions will wear and have matelic sludge. If you ask the dealer they will tell you NEVER change lifetime fluids. It is sort of a debate . PERSONALLY I would change at 100,000 - 150,000 miles as regular maint. If you have transmission trouble changing fluid will not help whatever damage is done is done and has to be fixed. Pull the trans and fix before it gets worse!
x2 in spades.

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
You should benefit from smoother shifting, if when its cold it shifts smoothly at the moment ( just normal pull away and not full throttle), if however you are getting hard shifts when cold then one or more of the clutch packs are worn.

3,230 Posts
I've flushed my transmission every 30,000 miles or 2 years. Usually, it's every 2 years because I don't drive more than 8,000 miles per year with my car. You'll definitely notice an improvement after the old fluid is removed and is replaced with fresh new fluid.
May I ask how you flush the transmission ?, and what procedure and product do you use, or do you mean you just change the fluid and filter as I do every 30k or 2yrs, although I do mine twice as there is still 2.5 ltrs in the torque convertor.

· Registered
21 Posts
How you Change fluid depends on the type of transmission you have. Mostly change the fluid and filter as you cannot get all the old fluid out unless you pull the torque converter and drain. IMO I would drain the trans fluid,(leave the torque converter alone) change the filter, clean the magnets, put new gasket on, refill with new fluid, wipe down any fluid around work area . Drive then check for leaks. Leaving the fluid in the torque converter will leave a little of the old metalic in the fluid which is what the dealer argues about the transmission needs. (B.S. if you ask me) If you dont want that pull your trans and drain your torque converter, or simply drain,fill, drain , fill ,drain and fill running the car between each drain and fill have fun and always use the right fluid for "YOUR" transmission.

· Premium Member
1,706 Posts
May I ask how you flush the transmission ?, and what procedure and product do you use, or do you mean you just change the fluid and filter as I do every 30k or 2yrs, although I do mine twice as there is still 2.5 ltrs in the torque convertor.
Interesting you asked that question, because the last shop I took my car to had a machine that apparently can remove all of the old fluid while adding new fluid. I go to a different shop now so I'm doing it the old school way by just replacing the fluid and filter. Either way, as long as a majority of the old fluid is removed and new fluid is added along with a new filter it doesn't really matter.

3,230 Posts
Interesting you asked that question, because the last shop I took my car to had a machine that apparently can remove all of the old fluid while adding new fluid. I go to a different shop now so I'm doing it the old school way by just replacing the fluid and filter. Either way, as long as a majority of the old fluid is removed and new fluid is added along with a new filter it doesn't really matter.
Thanks for both replies.

The reason I asked was I went to Dortmund Germany ZF where they make our transmissions for a service and they rebuilt the valve control body and new filter and fluid.

This is not me me but same procedure as I followed the advise of the writer:

My visit at ZF Dortmund for Gearbox maintenance.(very, very long!) HUGH RESULT!!

· Registered
21 Posts
That would be a great trip to do in my opion. That would be a vacation trip for me. Wow what detail in a GREAT shop! I would LOVE watching them do all that work .All I can say is WOW!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.