BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear torque all the time and it sems to b a big part of performance, but i dont no exactly wat it mean. also i dont no wat cc means. like wen they say the car has 4941 cc. i would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer these questions. thanyou

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
moving to bimmertalk

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
torque is your off the line power. example: hit the gas and your tires go peelin while your head flies into the back of your seat.. some performance cars have been known to have so much tourque that they can twist the frame coming off the line.. (my old camaro :goodness: RIP)

if youd like a more technical answear let me know ill take you through it.. thats basically english terms for everyone to understand..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Originally posted by MrM3@Nov 28 2003, 06:34 PM
torque is the muscle of the car. it is the meausurement of the actual twisting force at the crank, wheels, etc.

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...p?showtopic=514
and youll also notice that when you hit the throttle really hard your car actually dips on one side.. tourqe curve pretty cool...

btw bimmer39m5: cc's = cubic centimeters

just another way of measuring engine size like for a v8 350 ci (cubic inches)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i think torque is what pushes the car. you feel the torque when you accelerate. i believe the horsepower numbers are from torque. meaning, to find the HP of an engine, they will need the torque number first.

cc is cubic centimeters. in bmws case, a 325 is a 2.5 liter engine, or roughly 2,500 cc. motorcycles start around 650 cc, or 0.65 liters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Torque is rotational power. It is important in determining the acceleration and hauling capabilities of a car. For instance, trucks and SUVs have lots of torque because the car itself weighs a lot and they are expected to be able to pull even more.

Horsepower is how "fast" the car is. It is related to the maximum speed of your car and its efficiency. Sports cars will have a lot of horsepower so they can go very fast and still be efficient.

BMWs in general are very well rounded cars. For instance my 325i is pusing 189 horse 181 torque which is about exactly even.

Either horsepower or torque can be calculated if you know the other one. There is a formula relating the horsepower of an engine at a given RPMs to figure out the torque and vice versa.

p.s. this is my first post sup everybody :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts