BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my recently purchased stock '92 325iS to the local drag strip and pulled a 15.780 @ 89.36mph. Now that I have a baseline for the car, I would like to throw on some mild mods to the car. I was wondering what are some good initial mods to do to the M50 engine.

Also, please post your times and what mods you did to acheive those times.

-Brian

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
intake,chip,exhuast,headers

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess nobody around here goes to the track ever? :confused

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Originally posted by 325iS@Sep 30 2003, 12:01 AM
Well, not really dude..I mean we have members that track but this forum is still young and growing so be patient and continue on w/ your questions and info about it..

Another words, lead the way!! :cheers

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by 325iS@Sep 29 2003, 10:01 PM
a few people goto the track, just not dragstrips. thats not really what these cars are made for. your not gonna get big hp out of bolt on mods for the M50. if you like straight line racing mod your cams and differential ratio

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Ski+Sep 29 2003, 10:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ski @ Sep 29 2003, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-325iS@Sep 30 2003, 12:01 AM
Well, not really dude..I mean we have members that track but this forum is still young and growing so be patient and continue on w/ your questions and info about it..

Another words, lead the way!! :cheers [/b][/quote]
That's understandable. :thumbs

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by MrM3+Sep 29 2003, 10:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrM3 @ Sep 29 2003, 10:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>a few people goto the track, just not dragstrips. thats not really what these cars are made for. your not gonna get big hp out of bolt on mods for the M50.[/b]

Yeah, I know that's not what they're made for, but that doesn't mean they can't do it. Although I'm still very interested in drag racing my Mustang, I thought it would be cool to mod my new daily driver a little. Also, I do all my own work on my cars so it will be a chance for me to learn tuning on a different platform.
<!--QuoteBegin-MrM3
@Sep 29 2003, 10:23 PM
your not gonna get big hp out of bolt on mods for the M50. if you like straight line racing mod your cams and differential ratio[/quote]
This is the kind of response I was looking for. Thanks. :thumbs

-Brian

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by m42technic@Sep 29 2003, 11:48 PM
Throw in some M3 cams and a chip to start with.
I can assume Dinan chips are worth looking into; are there any other brands worth considering. Are there any brands I should stay away from?

-Brian

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
If I recall correctly, Jim Conforti chips have the biggest hp gain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Intake (make your own)
exhaust- dont bother with headers unless you got 1200 dollars to waste
m3 cams
chip made specificly for your m3 cammed engine. Auto Authority 806-886-2185
3.90 lsd
not much else Im aware of. Some stuff like bigger throttle body dont do shit in most peoples opinion. :nope

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by wjwbmw@Sep 30 2003, 12:42 PM
3.90 lsd
Do you know what the stock gearing is in my rearend?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by wjwbmw@Sep 30 2003, 12:42 PM
Intake (make your own)
I assume when people on here say intake, they are refering to the cold-air tube and not the intake manifold itself, right?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
stay away from dinan...their overated mostly

·
Registered
569 Posts
hey brian did you take your car to Steele? I figured if you went to a 1/4 strip that is where you might have gone, damn I haven't been to Steele since I ran my Integra there. I don't know if you ever saw it but I had the yellow Integra that used to be Robby Hughes(Hughes Paint and Body) in Oxford. It was a mildly modded car...On a 75 shot with some minor mods in the head and external it pulled a 14.6 in the 1/4 spinning on street tires....I think with traction and some slicks it coulda done a 13.9-14.0....Anyway one day my BMW will be that fast!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Scarface@Sep 30 2003, 10:39 PM
hey brian did you take your car to Steele? I figured if you went to a 1/4 strip that is where you might have gone, damn I haven't been to Steele since I ran my Integra there. I don't know if you ever saw it but I had the yellow Integra that used to be Robby Hughes(Hughes Paint and Body) in Oxford. It was a mildly modded car...On a 75 shot with some minor mods in the head and external it pulled a 14.6 in the 1/4 spinning on street tires....I think with traction and some slicks it coulda done a 13.9-14.0....Anyway one day my BMW will be that fast!
Yes, it was at Steele. Me and a bunch of friends go up there to race our Mustangs about every three weeks or so. It's a good way to legally relieve stress, test new mods, hang out with friends, and meet new people.

My Mustang runs 13.7's on the stock 240,000 mile block -- the only thing I've ever replaced on the engine is the water pump. However, it just started leaking oil so I'm going to have to finally tear it down and do a little refreshing. Since it was my daily driver, I was in need of another vehicle so I bought the BMW. I was going through withdrawls (since I hadn't been to the track in a month) so I took the Bimmer up there to get a base line. It run a full 2 seconds slower than the Stang, but it's still a fun car to drive.

Here's a pic from Sunday. You probably recognize the teal '93 Cobra on the other side of my BMW. The guy that drives that car is the one I bought my 325 from. It runs 12.03 @113 on a 150 shot.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Me and a couple of friends are goin to sears point b4 it closes......We goin to "beat the heat" on a wed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Asio@Oct 1 2003, 12:43 AM
Me and a couple of friends are goin to sears point b4 it closes......We goin to "beat the heat" on a wed.
Yet another good thing about the south... our tracks don't close due to colder weather. :p

Let me know how it turns out. :thumbs

1 - 20 of 41 Posts