BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wrench

My 2001 525i has 17 inch wheels and in driving after a couple of thousand miles, results in uneven, cupped wear pattern on the inside edge of the rear wheels. This causes irritatingly loud road noise specially st speeds below 30 mph.

I've gone to a dealership and they've told me the problem is the uneven tire wear so I bought 4 new tires. Now the tire rumblings are back again. I've gone to another dealership in NJ and they say it's the uneven tread wear. I've heard that the 2003 Nissan 350Z has had similar problems because of incorrect toe settings. Could this be the same problem as mine?

Thanks for your advise...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i dont think it would be the toe because if it was then that would mean you have a thrust angle problem which means the cars been smacked at the rear wheels to throw it off, and even if so the thrust angel would be offest to one side eaning youd have more negative toe on the right or left not on both..

could be a possible camber problem where the camber would be set to positive id have a service technician look at it again take it to the dealer and have them toss it up on the rack and check your entire alighntment..

sounds kinda fishy to me.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
well have you checked your toe setting? it should be a touch of toe-in. .what is your tire pressure and what is the recommended pressure for the particular tire (also what kind of tire is it?)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
MOTOMASTER!!

lol :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually going to bring my car to the dealership because of the safety recall on the airbag control module. I will also have them toss the car up on the rack and check the entire alignment (toe settings and camber).

I have Continental SportContact tires (235/45ZR-17 94Y BSW) using tire pressure of 29 front/33 rear on regular load and when I have more passengers and luggage, 33/41. I've actually based this on the BMW manual.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
great keep us posted id like to know what it was..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts