BMW Werkz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Just got some 18's for my e36. The tires that were on my stockers were really loud. I want to put some tires that won't give me a lot of road noise but not so expensive. Any ideas????

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Have a look at the article that is embedded in this Ebay auction description. It gives these tires a pretty good wrap against some fairly well known competition. And they seem to be reasonable priced. Roadster Madness has them on his Z4 and is pretty happy with them.
New 265/30 ZR/19" Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Tires:eBay Motors (item 140288807664 end time Jan-06-10 16:21:37 PST)

Not the size you want, but this is TWO New 245/45 ZR 18 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta Tires :eBay Motors (item 350242981337 end time Jan-18-10 12:43:05 PST)
And the seller is pretty keen to do business.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i wouldn't touch these tires. look at the centre groove on the tire, where does the water go? the grooves don't exit the tire, so hello aquaplane!
Vred1-1.jpg

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
CW
I made a similar observation, but the independant review against some reasonable tires suggested that the performance was on par or better. Roadster Maddness has them on his Z and should be able to provide some feedback from personal experience. Have a read of the review embedded above.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Having another look at the tread design, the majority of the treads ridges don't run squarely across the face of the tire, would this allow water to be ejected from the footprint in either direction (front or back) whilst still providing a good surface for lateral stability?

·
A NEW DAY RISES...
2,447 Posts
Actually - I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season version) in 17's on my Z3 -2002. They are terrific and loads better than the awful Michelin Pilot MXM's that came stock with the Roadster. I have Vredstein Sessanta Ultracs in staggered 20's on my M3 - they ate great and vent water well - there is a tread line on the inside to get rid of the water that works well. I know others with those tires who like them a lot too and the price is very good. This is on a super-powerful car too and it holds well on it and on my friends E55 AMG.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
RM, thanks for offering up that personal experience of these tires. Hopefully that will give FB some confidence in his selection.

·
A NEW DAY RISES...
2,447 Posts
And the noise with the Vredsteins is not bad at all - nice ride!

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
RM, how hard do you have to push these tires to break them loose, because you've got some decent HP at your disposal, but I guess plenty of rubber too.

·
A NEW DAY RISES...
2,447 Posts
I need to take the traction control (DSC) off to do it easily - although goosing it in the middle of a turn will likely step out a wee bit. I recently got new rear tires as you know - and so it is harder to break loose now. These tires are Y rated to 188 mph and ride really well plus they last decently well too. The prior owner of my M3 went thru Michelins, Nittos, Conti's etc and was by far most pleased with the Vredsteins. Remember - my car puts MAJOR power to the wheels too... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I personally don't cheap out on tires but I don't really have a brand loyalty either. Road noise isn't much of an issue either. I'll pretty much use whatever can take the abuse because believe me when I say I like to spin my tires on the regular. :D

I personally like my Nitto NT555's on my Beyern's. However I really want to go off the deep end and try the Invo's next.

·
A NEW DAY RISES...
2,447 Posts
I think I read the order was the opposite with the Nittos...?

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
How do the Nittos compare in cost and performance to the Vredesteins?

·
A NEW DAY RISES...
2,447 Posts
I heard the Nittos wear out WAY faster. And they are much more expensive with comparable performance.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
BE39 & RM, what sort of mileage do you get out of a set of Nittos & Vredestein (respectively)?

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
BE39 & RM, what sort of mileage do you get out of a set of Nittos & Vredestein (respectively)?
I've only put about 4,000 miles on my Nitto's from last March but they seem to holding up really well considering I'm really rough on my tires. I'll be happy to get 15,000 out of them to be honest but I'm not terribly upset by that because I got the set for $400 when they should have cost close to $800.

·
A NEW DAY RISES...
2,447 Posts
I got my M3 with the rears mostly gone and still got another 2K miles on them. The new ones were $500 for the rears balanced and installed but only have about 500 miles on them (or less) with the onset of winter. They are 295/30ZR 20's though so they cost a bit more. So far so good.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
BE39, from what RM has observed it might be worth looking at the Vredesteins. If I could them here in Australia easily I would be putting them on pretty soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts