BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Ever since i got my e34 it has this 'tick tick tic tic tic tic' sound coming from the engine when it's idling (and perhaps moving, i cannot tell...) But is there some kind of fuel additive that anyone knows of that will fix this annoying problem? Or any other way to fix it?

thanks...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
before yesterday i thought it was from shitty non-synthetic oil (i just got this car and it seems like the previous owner didnt put time and money into it like he should have) but yesterday i changed the oil using 10-30 synthetic blend... What weight do you suggest using?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the oil weight reccommendations for Bimmers, but I run a 10w50 on my car to keep mine quiet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Check the manfactuer recomendations, don't stray to far but consider that and driving habits, weather conditions etc. A ticking noise can be deceiving. Sometimes a small exhaust leak for example where the manifold bolts to the engine can produce a noise very simular to valve train noise. It will speed up and down just like a lifter noise. It most likey is valve train noise but just another thing to consider if you are trying to track it down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had exactly the same problems with my 318is coupe i was an annoying ticking sound that came from the engine that seemed to get worse everytime i put my foot on the gas after taking it to a few garages i found out that the manifold was leaking!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
you have a 525 correct? Thats the m20 engine which are notorious for valve ticking. Mine does it in fact. Btw use the thickest oil you can really for the old engines. I use 20w50. And dont use synthetic, it will eat away at seals and is generally to thin.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by Fox@Feb 10 2004, 05:31 PM
you have a 525 correct? Thats the m20 engine which are notorious for valve ticking. Mine does it in fact. Btw use the thickest oil you can really for the old engines. I use 20w50. And dont use synthetic, it will eat away at seals and is generally to thin.
yeah fox is right about the M20's and valve tick, but if your 525 is a 91 or newer you most likely have a M50 depending on build date

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, i have an m50... I'll have to get some heavier weight oil sometime... how do i know which oil is heavier... I dont really understand the numbers (n00b alert)

·
Registered
729 Posts
higher number = more viscous = thicker.

multigrade oils have viscosity modifiers (polymers that stretch depending on temperature), hence there is a range i.e. two numbers. so

5w30 is thin
20w50 is thick.

this is all sae grading (society of american engineers), under controlled viscosity measurement conditions (tube size, flow rate, temperature etc).

peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts