BMW Werkz banner

Thrown a rod

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BMWJNKY 
#1 ·
Hey I havent thrown a rod on my car, but in school we are doing a mock trial and the case consists of this guy blowing his engine and then sueing the person he bought it from. What i need to know is, What is the most common reason an engine blows? Overheating, not changing the oil. Are the pistons checked during a tune up? Thanks, if you can give any help, it is truly appreciated.

#2 ·
my guess would be overheating if the car is driven under normal conditions (not racing blah blah) The spark plugs are supposed to be check/replaced during a tuneup i believe... And as for the oil not being changed, that would be done with a tune up

#3 ·
the case would hold no water in court. when you throw a rod its usually a result of careless over reving.

other ways an engine could blow.

-lack of coolant.
-lack of oil and or oill changes.
-use of unreccomended oil grade at cold climate temps. this results in a thicker oil hence increasing the friction on the lube points of the oil.
-cracked head allowing oil to mix with collant would wipe out the bottom end.

the list is pretty much endless those are just common causes.

the pistons are not checked during a tune up to check them it would require a tear down of the engine both top and bottom end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.