BMW Werkz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, has anyone ever bypassed the coolant lines that go through the throttle body? I installed the AA cai and instead of bypassing just the heating element from the air box I removed the hoses from the throttle body completely and rerouted them. Alot of my friends have LT1/LS1 motors and it is a popular mod. They say its worth maybe 3 or 4 hp. Just wondering your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I dont get it. How can you gain hp by just rerouting cooling lines. All these lines are made for is to 1) help start the car in the winter and stop the buterfly valve from freezing shut, and 2 help cool the incoming air.

Explain how you gain hp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I not sure if there is a real gain for this or not. A ls1 is nothing like a bmw but all the forums claim it is a mod worth doing. Some even claim as high as 6 hp. while I think a gain like that is unlikely I thought I would try it. If coolant is running through the throttle body isn't that about 200 degrees heating up something you want to be as cool as possible? Cooler air does make more power. My car doen't get driven in the winter so I'm not worrried about the throttle body freezing. My cars performance also seemed to fall off after it was driven for extended periods. Thats no longer a problem but most likely due to the AA intake heat shield. At least it didn't cost me anything and is not permanent.
Talk to ya later.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
engine temps get to around 150 but i see your point. Removing them might cool the air some however instead of removing the lines altogether you might as well tap off a new fresh line that has not already been preheated by the engine and run it up there. However i see no point to this because the air coming in isnt heated to begin with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts