BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I need to replace the Window reg on my 2000 323i. It got stuck down and I had to take off the door panel and tappe it back up. How easy is it to install another one myself? It's an $80 part, but a $120 install. Is it worth it to have BMW do it? My car's no longer under warranty.

Comments? If it's doable, can someone hit me up with some instructs? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
is it the front or rear?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Originally posted by ArchaicAngel@Dec 7 2003, 06:54 PM
I think I need to replace the Window reg on my 2000 323i. It got stuck down and I had to take off the door panel and tappe it back up. How easy is it to install another one myself? It's an $80 part, but a $120 install. Is it worth it to have BMW do it? My car's no longer under warranty.

Comments? If it's doable, can someone hit me up with some instructs? Thanks!
Is your entire window regulator motor shot? Or is it the metal wire that got tangled? If the wire is tangled you may have to replace the complete assembly. You would have to remove the weather stripping after the panel is removed. Took me an hour to do my first one. On my second one I had my mechanic do it becase it is such a pain in the arse to fix. Don't have BMW do it, take it to an independent BMW mechanic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's my left rear window. The motor works still, but the wire is all tangled up. When I had the panel off before, I was able to get most of it untangled and get the window to roll down, but not up. So, a new regulator is probably neccessary? I don't mind doing the work on installing a new assembly, but I was just wondering if it's too difficult to do myself.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's not that difficult, but that depends on who's saying that. I used to do all four regulators in a sedan in 20 minutes. But that's because I sometimes did 8-10 per day, maybe more. They really aren't that hard but if you're not careful then you'll be buying a window too. Also, make sure the black moisture barrier is completely reinstalled with no tears and completely sealed. Or else you will come out to standing water in your floorboard after a heavy rain. If you were in my area then I'd do it for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts