BMW Werkz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I used shell oil of 8000KM & I have driven the car for more than 8000Km (not sure, but maybe 10,000KM). Today went for an oil change & I found that the oil is 3.5L less. This is happening for me for the first time … can any one help me on what might be the reason & how I can resolve it.

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
Even for new cars, most manufacturers say normal oil consumption is almost a liter/1000km.

BTW, Just out of curiosity, how did you calculate that you're 3.5 liters low? Seems very unlikely that the engine wouldn't have destroyed itself with more than half of the oil missing.

Also, if you have an OBC, you should get a warning on the dash upon shut down when it starts getting low (<1 liter missing); if not, then do what you should be in the first place: check it once a week, or at least once a month at the very least. I can't imagine driving for that long and not once checking the oil level.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The remaining oil was about 4L when taken out, so the technician assumed the missing is 3.5L, is that right? The driving was very normal during the last month.

I don’t know what is OBC but I also expect a warning on the dash when the oil level is very low.!!

Noted, I should check the oil level more regularly in the future.

· Help from over the pond
3,230 Posts
OBC = on board computer

A straight 6 should hold somewhere around 6.5 litres including whats in the oil filter chamber.

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
The remaining oil was about 4L when taken out, so the technician assumed the missing is 3.5L, is that right? The driving was very normal during the last month.

I don’t know what is OBC but I also expect a warning on the dash when the oil level is very low.!!

Noted, I should check the oil level more regularly in the future.
Well first and foremost, I checked and your car holds 6.5 liters. He drained 4, there's always some that is trapped in the filter, some that doesn't drain out ... that is not a good way to calculate oil levels.

I suggest you check it yourself periodically and check it before taking it in. Whoever this "technician" is wouldn't be allowed within a mile of my car.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, I understand the missing was about 2L & I should check the oil level periodically by myself. Also I should make sure that my OBC is active & giving warning on the dash upon shut down, when the oil is <1 liter missing.

Thanks again ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.