BMW Werkz banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
W00T
2,714 Posts
Fords are great cars dont get me wrong, but like someone else said, you pay for what you get.

Who cares about the numbers, have you ever sat in a newer(2001) mustang, they are uncomfortable IMO, while my 1991 BMW is spacious, and comfortable. So maybe it gets .5 faster on the quarter mile...who gives a shit, chances are you are never going to race a quarter mile with a Mustang anyways.

Its all opinions, everyones biased towards what they grew up with, or what they own.

atleast thats what i think.

I think the new stangs look decent, and hell maybe i would want one, but I still like my BMW

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hmmm...Dont like the new stangs..bodu just aint right..I thought stangs were decent..then I rode in the back of my friends 96 GT..man that thing liked to have killed me...wrost ride ever....suspention sucks..hope they have made an improvement...

·
Registered
963 Posts
way back up there i believe someone said ford has a 4.4 liter 500 horspower
wrong
it is a 5.4 liter 500 horse and it is s/c

that is the same engine that comes out of the pickup ford f150 and the suv ford expedition.

·
Registered
160 Posts
first of all the 3 link suspension is an unbeliveable improvement over the 4 link. not just an improvement its a very good setup, you bmw people think in solid axil and independent and leaf and coil, what you dont know is there are alot of types of indapendint suspensions, a god dam lumina has fully indendent suspension. what you dont think about is alot of people who buy mustangs want to run under 12 sec 1/4 mile and you cant do that at a track with independent suspension. and if you do your research that suspension is very good. and if you are going to compair the 3.2 333hp M3 you should compair it to the cobra witch is very under rated to say the least at 395hp.

·
Super Moderator
14,727 Posts
After all is said and done, I think they did a great job on the look. Just would like it a bit better if the turn lights could be wrenched free from the brake lights :confused

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@Oct 8 2004, 06:21 PM
First of all, just to educate you all on american engineering:

1. The beloved corvette Z06 has leaf springs. It also handles as well as an M3 around the track. The upcoming C6 handles BETTER than an M3 CSL!!! on LEAF SPRINGS. Don't doubt american engineering, there are reasons for everything.

2. Solid rear axles keep costs down, if the mustang had independent rear suspension as standard, it would cost alot more and require a much more exotic suspension setup to get the same performance in a straight line. Remember, Ford is a greedy money grubbing whore. The Cobra and concept GTR both have exotic independent rear suspension setups. It is rumored that the GT will have it as a cost option.
[snapback]207985[/snapback]​
at least there are some people here that are knolagabole.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
quote 91notchback:
at least there are some people here that are knolagabole

haha sorry man that was just too funny because of what you were trying to say

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
ya i mean that wasnt even close to a word.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by RedlinedRU@Nov 16 2004, 11:09 AM
quote 91notchback:
at least there are some people here that are knolagabole

haha sorry man that was just too funny because of what you were trying to say
[snapback]231937[/snapback]​
what can i say i suck at typing. its true and very hard to hide

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
In response to your sig:

1. I have never raced a mustang in my BMW. However, I did race several in my old 1986 Saab 9000 turbo. 2.0L, pumping 18PSI and a pathetic 215whp (I just cranked the boost and didn't modify injector mapping so I was running WAY lean) I walked away from GTs and totally spanked V6s. I also laughed my ass off while doing so. The old 4.0L V8s sucked balls. Big hairy sweaty balls.

The new mustang does rock pretty well in a straight line, however, the live axle is a disappointment. An open diff would be an improvement, because I'm sure that the GT could handle cornering fairly well with a good suspension.

Of course you compare the M3 to the Cobra. However, as many have said, drag racing an M3 is like fishing with a hooker, it's fun but it's not what you got her for. If you want to drag race, a Mustang is a much more cost effective option, if you want to hit canyons and road courses, a BMW is much much much much better.

A mustang Cobra R can match a modded Elise on the track.

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK frist im hoping that was a type with the 4.0 V8 sucking balls. i think you men 5.0L V8 and as far a sucking balls that is argueably the best motor ever built first of all they are probly the most beat car ever put on the road and the base modle GT came with a 2.73 rear gear and put that to the shitty AOD and yes your car would beat it in acceration. but lots people are making over 600rwhp street cars that they drive everyday, and get good gas milage. i have one and i get low to mid 20s highway. and they dont have to put much mony in them to get that much power.

and an open dif would be an improvement WTF are you talking about pozy traction increases not only strightline traction but latteral grip too. so what the heck are you talking about.

and the solid axil yes is not the best for ride comfert and shit but a 3 link with panhard bar is a very good handiling suspension setup

and the 03/04 cobra will handle as good as the E46 M3. yes i admit the M3 handles more perdictabol and is easyer to drive.thats true it is. but the cobra will pull equal lateral Gs in a turn. there for will hit corrners at the same speed

·
Registered
756 Posts
i love the new mustang to tell you guys the truth its the first mustang that has ever really caught my eye.. the design is very nice and retro i mean i may not know as much about cars as everyone else does but right now all i can say is why compare when you can just like them both? th wierdest thing was i was just about to post a topic similar to this..

ohh yeah and i dont think you can beat the price..

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
Ok do you know what a live axle is? Cuz a live axle is NOT positraction. Positraction is a LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL. A live axle is a solid axle with NO DIFFERENTIAL AT ALL.

I'm not saying that tuned up mustangs don't rock in straight lines, and yes the old pushrod 5.0 V8s are fucking badass. However, the modern GT DOHC motors are kind of disappointing in their output. I'm not trying to dog on you here I'm trying to keep both sides in check. It's not Bimmers vs Mustangs here.

A tuned up mustang and a tuned up bimmer are two different beasts. A tuned up mustang, 99% of the time is a drag car. A tuned up bimmer 99% of the time is a track racing car. BMWs are for handling, Muscle cars are for accellerating.

also, lateral Gs don't mean shit, that's grip not handling. Big difference, to be fair, the cobra is a good handling car, but it's not going to hang on a track with an M3. The weight of the car isn't well balanced, it's far too torquey for it's suspension's ability to keep the car in line and it's steering is way way way too loose. It's like 3 turns lock to lock or something rediculous like that. Granted, a good driver could finesse a Cobra around a track pretty damn fast, but an M3 is just better around a track, period. I hate to say it, but sometimes it's good not to have so much torque.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@Nov 20 2004, 02:19 PM
Ok do you know what a live axle is? Cuz a live axle is NOT positraction. Positraction is a LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL. A live axle is a solid axle with NO DIFFERENTIAL AT ALL.

I'm not saying that tuned up mustangs don't rock in straight lines, and yes the old pushrod 5.0 V8s are fucking badass. However, the modern GT DOHC motors are kind of disappointing in their output. I'm not trying to dog on you here I'm trying to keep both sides in check. It's not Bimmers vs Mustangs here.

A tuned up mustang and a tuned up bimmer are two different beasts. A tuned up mustang, 99% of the time is a drag car. A tuned up bimmer 99% of the time is a track racing car. BMWs are for handling, Muscle cars are for accellerating.

also, lateral Gs don't mean shit, that's grip not handling. Big difference, to be fair, the cobra is a good handling car, but it's not going to hang on a track with an M3. The weight of the car isn't well balanced, it's far too torquey for it's suspension's ability to keep the car in line and it's steering is way way way too loose. It's like 3 turns lock to lock or something rediculous like that. Granted, a good driver could finesse a Cobra around a track pretty damn fast, but an M3 is just better around a track, period. I hate to say it, but sometimes it's good not to have so much torque.
[snapback]234377[/snapback]​
this is what you said " An open diff would be an improvement, because I'm sure that the GT could handle cornering fairly well with a good suspension. "

and open diff is no possy, just to let you know

·
Registered
160 Posts
and about the torque, sometimes you have to feather the throtle. well with a powerfull car at least

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
Originally posted by 91notchback+Nov 20 2004, 06:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(91notchback @ Nov 20 2004, 06:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-triggrhaapi@Nov 20 2004, 02:19 PM

this is what you said " An open diff would be an improvement, because I'm sure that the GT could handle cornering fairly well with a good suspension. "

[snapback]234479[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

God, you have no idea what you're talking about. You keep talking about Positraction. The new Mustang doesn't have positraction. For all I know you can't even get independent rear suspension and an LSD (aka positraction since you don't even know what a differential is) as a cost option on the GT. It's a fucking shame because that car really could be something special if they wanted it to be.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by triggrhaapi+Nov 22 2004, 11:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(triggrhaapi @ Nov 22 2004, 11:06 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 20 2004, 06:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-triggrhaapi
@Nov 20 2004, 02:19 PM

[snapback]234479[/snapback]​
God, you have no idea what you're talking about. You keep talking about Positraction. The new Mustang doesn't have positraction. For all I know you can't even get independent rear suspension and an LSD (aka positraction since you don't even know what a differential is) as a cost option on the GT. It's a fucking shame because that car really could be something special if they wanted it to be.
[snapback]235267[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

no you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, im not even going to wast my time typing .

read this http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential1.htm
and all of the GT mustangs since atleast 79 have had a clutch type possy.

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
I'm going to try saying this one more time.

1. Ok, so Ford uses clutch type LSDs. I wouldn't brag about that unless they're adjustable from the factory.

2. The new Mustang GT does not have an LSD. It doesn't have an open differential. It has no differential. It has a solid live axle. That sucks.

I would also like to point out that "Positraction" is a GM name, not a ford name.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@Nov 22 2004, 07:39 PM
I'm going to try saying this one more time.

1. Ok, so Ford uses clutch type LSDs. I wouldn't brag about that unless they're adjustable from the factory.

2. The new Mustang GT does not have an LSD. It doesn't have an open differential. It has no differential. It has a solid live axle. That sucks.

I would also like to point out that "Positraction" is a GM name, not a ford name.
[snapback]235513[/snapback]​
yeah they do have LSD. where did you here that they did not post it up. it woud be retared to to have a spool, witch is what you are talking about. it would be unpredictabol and unessary tire wear

21 - 40 of 71 Posts