BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have about a week before the snow flies and the M5 gets parked for the winter and replaced by the X5. I drove it for a couple of hours this evening by myself and found myself pondering the beauty of the beast. The E60 M5 is the greatest car ever built!

Is it the fastest? NO
Is it the roomiest? NO
Is it the quickest? NO
Is it the best looking? NO
Is it the most high tech? NO

But it has all of the above qualities in the right porportions. I had two car seats in the back seat this weekend, full of two grandkids, with their Grandma and I in the front seats. Last week I had three sets of golf clubs in the trunk and two good buddies with me inside the cabin (couldn't find a fourth). I can leave on any green light and everyone that is behind me stays behind me. I find I'm talking to myself quite regularly about just how great this car is.
I am 53 and have owned some very potent muscle machines in my life but NOTHING compares with this car. I no longer get the looks from the 20 year old tighties as I pull up to lights. It means more to me when somebody who appreciates cars comes over and strikes up a conversation, a little drool glistening from the corner of his mouth while he looks the M5 over.
I have only had mine for a couple of months and all I can say is you guys and gals that have been driving this machine for years are a bunch of lucky buggers!
My rant is done, I'm going for another drive!

·
I am Teh Edumacator.
4,521 Posts
Glad you like it :)

·
W00T
2,714 Posts
I only have about a week before the snow flies and the M5 gets parked for the winter and replaced by the X5. I drove it for a couple of hours this evening by myself and found myself pondering the beauty of the beast. The E60 M5 is the greatest car ever built!

Is it the fastest? NO
Is it the roomiest? NO
Is it the quickest? NO
Is it the best looking? NO
Is it the most high tech? NO

But it has all of the above qualities in the right porportions. I had two car seats in the back seat this weekend, full of two grandkids, with their Grandma and I in the front seats. Last week I had three sets of golf clubs in the trunk and two good buddies with me inside the cabin (couldn't find a fourth). I can leave on any green light and everyone that is behind me stays behind me. I find I'm talking to myself quite regularly about just how great this car is.
I am 53 and have owned some very potent muscle machines in my life but NOTHING compares with this car. I no longer get the looks from the 20 year old tighties as I pull up to lights. It means more to me when somebody who appreciates cars comes over and strikes up a conversation, a little drool glistening from the corner of his mouth while he looks the M5 over.
I have only had mine for a couple of months and all I can say is you guys and gals that have been driving this machine for years are a bunch of lucky buggers!
My rant is done, I'm going for another drive!
pics. Would love that car, give me a few years.
grats, you now know how every other owner feels.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I can agree with you completely, reagannelson
I've been eyeing that beast from rumours to concept to production.
It's sad though that as soon as it climax with it's debut, it didn't reign for too long, before being toppled by Merz's and Audi's equivalent.

Still, I hope to own the E60 M5 some day....

·
I am Teh Edumacator.
4,521 Posts
I can agree with you completely, reagannelson
I've been eyeing that beast from rumours to concept to production.
It's sad though that as soon as it climax with it's debut, it didn't reign for too long, before being toppled by Merz's and Audi's equivalent.

Still, I hope to own the E60 M5 some day....
Define "toppled."

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Define "toppled."
When the E60 M5 came out, it was all the hype, everyone was all excited, and it reigned for a short while in the high performance sports sedan category.

Then, shortly after that, if I remember correctly, Car & Driver did a Comparison Test between the three:

2007 Audi S6 vs. 2007 BMW M5 vs. 2007 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Results were:
1. E63 AMG
2. S6
3. M5

·
Super Moderator
14,727 Posts
Those Car and Driver first place second place etc ratings should be considered more opinion based than car quality based IMO :deal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Those guys also didn't like the iDrive. I think it's great. Maybe if I had all three to compare, I would be less satisfied with my M5. I really doubt it though. It suits me to a "T".

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have got my dream garage! Thats a nice colour for the M5. Shame we dont get that one here in Australia.

·
Im Bluffin With My Muffin
5,992 Posts
:drool: lol I'm one of those weird people that just start talking to you:D the e60 M5 Is IMHO better then the audi or benz... the audi is OK thats it nothing really special or appealing.... the benz is a CLOSE second to the M5 In this case the M5 in my opinion is the better car...... Happy motoring!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have got my dream garage! Thats a nice colour for the M5. Shame we dont get that one here in Australia.
You mean you can't get the Interlagos Blue in Australia? I never knew that. Wonder why?

·
Registered
178 Posts
best of all the worlds in that garage all bimmers....an X5 for the snow and then an M5 and a 330xi for very pleasurable driving. I turn my head at all bimmers but any M is a real head turner especially the e60 M5. Love the car.
Happy Driving :bimmer

1 - 20 of 31 Posts