BMW Werkz banner

201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Buh, you are all about engine swapping aren't you, I don't blame you...it would be a sick thing to do, but its not exactly easy for those of us without money. Also, it would really throw the car off as well. You'd need to do the suspension again to take account of the weight of the m3 engine if you were really anal about handling and weight balance. It could be a very expensive project...more-so than just an engine swap...

Lightweight wheels would be great...you could actually lose 10lbs or more per wheel if you went with smaller aluminum racing wheels or something...at least for track days

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
They are original AC Schnitzer Type-1 wheels, the logo cap is missing on the FL wheel as you can see, but they are the original OZ ACS's nonetheless.

Anyways, front to back is somewhat balanced, I haven't had the car weighed on it's corners yet. I doubt I'll get the car rebalanced. I'll probably just get a set of coilovers in the future to balance the car out. Yes that's right! Most of you think coilovers are made for dropping the car, well they aren't. They are made to offset and balance uneven weight distribution.

I'm not considering any type of engine swap. That would defeat the purposes of weight reduction. The only thing that interests me is swapping in an S14 (E30M3). As Blanton mentioned, I would have to redo the entire suspension, no thanks. I love how my car handles now, it's perfect to me.

I'll be more than satisfied once I get down to 2600lbs. That's a super lightweight. :)

Here's a pic to prove my wheels are not fakies LOL (previous owner did the curb rash, not me)

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im not sure if it was mentioned because I didnt want to scroll through 11 Pages. But there is a sound deadinign material on the bottom of the car if you manage to get it all off it will lose 150lbs.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If your a track rat, and all you care about in your 318 is weight, then why in the hell did you go with an e36? e30's are much much lighter cars. I can see why you would go for an e36 as a daily.. but an e30 is much more suited for the track.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
Originally posted by catalyst.@Dec 20 2004, 03:02 PM
If your a track rat, and all you care about in your 318 is weight, then why in the hell did you go with an e36? e30's are much much lighter cars. I can see why you would go for an e36 as a daily.. but an e30 is much more suited for the track.
[snapback]254878[/snapback]​
People don't always have the option of switching their cars. Maybe he got this car as a gift. Maybe he likes it a lot. Maybe he doesn't want to have the feelign of wasting all that money on his e36 just to sell it and get a e30. Either way you work with what you have. An e34 wasn't my primary choice for a car but i've dealt with it and enjoy it very much.

Those rims reminded me of some Alutec weiner ones, but very nice indeed. I'm assuming they weigh somewhat/sinificatnly less than stock wheels? Ever consider Gram Lights?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
///M Power,

I got Kosie K1 racing rims for the track, I just have a set of bald RA1's mounted to them, so I have to use the ACS rims for the track right now. I don't have any money for a new set of RA1's. The Kosie rims are Japanese made, cheap as hell, hit a pot hole hard enough and they will bend. However, they weigh 13-14lbs for 17's!

catalyst,

E30 makes a better track car, yes. However, E30's are aging. Something else that makes a good track car is it's rear sub-frame and chassis. How easy do you think it would be to find a good condition E30 that isn't a rusted pile of junk? High milage also takes it's toll on the chassis and sub-frames. Although I love the E30 M3, regular E30's just don't do it for me. I think in stock form they look really bad, especially the earlier models with chrome bumpers. The E30 M3 in stock form is a beaut! I have enough reinforcements on my car's chassis anyways, so I'm not too concerned about swapping to a stiffer chassis.

Anyways, everyone works with what they have. I've had an E36 since I was 16, and I'm 23 now.

Bry

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
I'm not a big fan of sound systems. I took AMP from under the passenger seat and the bazooka sub out of the s13. Dunno saved a few pounds. Not gonna go as extreme as Bryan and take out my headunit though. Gotta love my rock music.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
Time to bring back a 8 month old thread.

So i'm going to rip apart my door panels again soon. Ive heard there are some dead weights of some material for reducing noise. Is this true? How much does it weigh? What material is it?

·
Registered
471 Posts
You know I pulled my sub system out of my car and the spare tire, I probally dropped a good 200-250 pounds all at once. And I will never put another sub system in a performance car! NEVER! The handeling and acceleration difference it amazing!

Just my two cents. I am all down for weight reduction, but noises bug the shit out of me especially on the freeway. I think the e36 is too loud on the freeway as it is right now, with a stock exhaust system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
BMWjesterFAN said:
Has anyone looked into how much weight would be saved by switching from power to hand-crank windows? I'll bet there's a lot to be saved there.
Can't do it becuase on the e36 coupes the widnows have to do that up/down seal thing when opening a closing. Thats why the M3 Lightweight still has power widnows. I guess on a sedan you could though.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts