BMW Werkz banner

The age old question: to convert to single mass flywheel from dual or not to convert

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mustang_john 
#1 ·
Apologies in advance if this topic has been beaten down but I’m on the fence on this one. Just acquired a ‘97 328i ‘vert with 260k miles from a 1 owner friend who was fairly meticulous with the maintenance. The other day i noticed some minor slippage when getting on the gas in 3rd / 4th gears at low rpm. Not too bad yet and i can drive around the issue. BUT I’m going to need the replacement eventually and I’ve been getting very mixed reviews on the chatter / vibration / can of marbles sound I’ve been told it makes from my very long term and super trusted mechanic. He says he’s done single mass conversions only to have his customers come back weeks later and have them convert back to dual mass flywheel because the noise etc drove them crazy. Im well aware of the cost difference so no need to address that. I really want to make this a daily driver and will not be racing, drifting, doing burnouts etc. however i do like to do some spirited driving and want to maintain the current performance feel. So I’m looking for some real world input into this from you gurus as to how “bad” the difference is for a every day driver. Many thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.