BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 323i E46..this problem just started occuring. I had not run the car for over a month because of snow and cold here. But, I got it out a cople of days ago. I noticed that the temperature needle was not coming out of the blue after about 5 miles of driving....then all of a sudden it went right into the red...I pulled over, shut down the car and checked for overheating, but everything seemed normal. When I restarted the needle went back to the top edge of blue and stayed there the rest of the trip (another 15 miles), I topped up the coolant about a pint when I got home. It did the same thing today...but after I shut it down and restarted it was back to normal. Would this be a faulty temp sending unit or faulty thermostat? Or what else?

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I had something similar happen to me a few years back with my 2000 528i. It sat in the garage for nearly a month and when I finally started it I had a similar issue as to what you're describing. However, after some driving everything was fine. I thought at first I had a sticky thermostat or a bad temp sensor like you said but everything was fine. I just chalked it to the cold and the fact the car sat there for so long.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just went thru the exact same thing. It turned out to be the connections at the temp sensor. wiggle jiggled and cleaned. works great again. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I will have to give that a try...where is the sensor located?
I have noticed that if I shut down and then start up again...it fixes the problem...so, yes, it does seem to be a sensor problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK, I will have to give that a try...where is the sensor located?
I have noticed that if I shut down and then start up again...it fixes the problem...so, yes, it does seem to be a sensor problem.
Not sure on your car check here: RealOEM.com Just enter your car, make, and model. It should give you a diagram that will show you where it is located.

This is a great site sent to me by another member in the forum (marti5).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its probably the thermostat. Mine did the same exact thing. My thermostat was stuck open. Also my expansion tank was cracked. Replaced it too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts