BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 325 and sometimes when I start the car the check engine light pops up and a tail light circuit pops up in the LCD panel but all my tail lights are working fine, and if i turn off the car and turn it back on. It dissapers does anybody have this problem.....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yea, when you hit the brakes the light should go out no? And if not check the wiring and bulbage to the emergency brake light or whatever its called, the one in the rear window. I know when my brake light warning came on it took me 3 hours to figure out why the light was on yet the brakes work, i totally forgot about the 3rd brake light which was out.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Originally posted by leobmw@Sep 13 2003, 12:11 PM
I have a 92 325 and sometimes when I start the car the check engine light pops up and a tail light circuit pops up in the LCD panel but all my tail lights are working fine, and if i turn off the car and turn it back on. It dissapers does anybody have this problem.....
This is common on E36's, mine does it also..link info..

http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/brakeswitch.html

·
Registered
497 Posts
the check engine light (as with the other lights) should come on briefly when you first hit the key. But if it sporadically comes on when the car is running then there is a problem. Obviously the only way to find out what's going on is to pull the fault codes. The brake light issue.. skii hit it on the nose. You have a brake light switch failing on you. However, I'd also check the contacts in the tail light assemblies. Also make sure you use a good quality OE approved bulb. Believe it or not, cheap or non BMW approved bulbs can wreak havoc on the brake light circuits. It's worth paying a little extra for better bulbs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys!!!! now that you mentioned about the cheap bulb. i think that's what my problem might be since y recently replace my bulbs with some chep ones that i bught from advance.... so all try buying some better ones and all let you guys know!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts