BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a pair of h4 conversion head lights. Since i have halo's in my low beams, i was wondering if it is possible to swap them over and use them as high beams? So basically the low beams i have now will be plugged in the high beam, and the low beams will be using h4's. Is that possible? i know the high beams have 3 prongs instead of 2 but can i cutt if off? or do something with it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wiring aside, on the e30 the low baem metal basket that the headlight fits into is not identical to the high beam. there are indentions on the basket that knobs on the headlight engage to keep the bulb from spinning in the housing. You would need a donor headlight assembly to scavange parts from, basket, springs, adjusters, etc.. It may seem like alot of work now but could you remove the halo's from the lows and transfer them to the high beams? It might be better than chopping up the harness, and you would maintain a high beam not just a light.
Ben

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wait the high beams use different housings? i don't feel like cracking my high beams apart. Can i just use my dremel and cut little niches surrounding the head light inorder for it to fit. As for the harness, i can just bend the top prong out of the way and it will fit. The two prongs on the bottom are for ground and high beam, the top prong is for low beams. So harness is not a problem. cracking the high beams and removing my halo's might be a pain in the ass. I don't feel like doing it again. ARG!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ohh yea, what metal bracket are you talking about? the one that goes over the head light to keep it in place? The back is a black plastic basket.

·
Registered
391 Posts
On my old '84 318i, from the outside in, there was the black plastic grill, then the trim ring that holds the bulb in, the trim ring had 3 screws that screwed into a metal basket that went around the back of the bulb with a hole in the center for the prongs from the bulb to come through. This metal basket was held in a larger metal bracket, that also held the low beam, by springs.this larger metal bracket assembly was attached to the radiatior panel by bolts. You may be able to modify the basket with a dremel if you so desire. It looks like your car is newer than an '84 and they may have changed the design of the headlight assembly I am not sure.
Ben

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow that sounds confusing. All i know is there's a metal trim screwing on the to the bracket behind the head lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts