BMW Werkz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
489 Posts
my question would be, why even change the differential fluid? shouldn't have to and it's a much bigger pain in the ass to do then it's worth...but yes, idiots typically round the 4 sided drain plug off so you can't get it out any longer. It's a classic problem...the old diff plug..what I have seen is that folks take the bottom plug out, via whatever means, drain the fluid and then discover that the filler plug won't come out, the one on top, so they can't refill the damn thing...either way you/they are screwed....I wouldn't even mess with the differential fluid...if the thing goes it goes....and you replace the entire diff.....best of luck

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read it on PelicanParts.com
Pelican Technical Article: BMW E30 3 Series Differential Oil Change
I done it before it was not hard at all if the filler plug was not stripped. Shifted much smoother after oil changed. Advice for the first timer changing the differential oil, ALWAYS take the filler plug off first then the drain plug. In my case, if I drained the oil first, then I'm really screwed.

· Registered
489 Posts
actually I think it's an Allen isn't it on the BMW? I may thinking of Peugeot with 4 sided wrench thing, piece of junk Peugeots are...nevertheless....the situation remains the same, take the filler plug off first and then see if the drain plug will come out..that way you won't can't be stranded...good luck..cliff

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry it was the transmission filler plug not the differential. Yes you will need to use a 17mm hex bit. If I can't get it off then I can't change the transmission oil, anybody got a solution to this problem?

· Registered
125 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.