BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY WASSUP EVERY1,

I DRIVE A 318IS 5 SPD MANUAL, RECENTLY WHEN EVER I ATTEMPT TO HIT THE BRAKES AT A FAST SPEED OR EVEN A SLOW SPPEN MY STEERING WILL SHAKES LIKE RATTLES. ID BE LOOKING AT MY HAND AND ITS LIKE A VIBRATOR...ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS COULD BE?? BRAKES??

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
sounds like a warped rotor.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
everyone always says brake rotors but i went in and got my alignment fixed, and my shakes from 60 to dead stop or higher speeds went completely away my 318 had the sameprobelm. like annoying pretty hard shake! i even got it on the accelration too that sucked! alignment fixed my problem!

David

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
its true it could be alignment, but if it were theres a good chance it would be noticeable w/o using the breaks because the car would't track straight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
...just a strange thought... maybe you should undo all the lugs on each rim, and re-torque them down in accordance with the correct bolt-pattern-tightening-sequence. maybe you have a loose lug. ...just ah thought, and wouldnt cost a dime.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i think its a warped rotor but im not sure, but either way, most of the time when a steering wheel is shaking, its somehow connected to the brakes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
ahh on my 318i mine did the exact same thing... shook when I barely hit the brakes and then if i hit them harder, the steering wouldn't shake. I got new tires for my car and everything is smooth.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ah yes but what if you have brand new rotors and your wheel shakes between 40-50 mph?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
tires are worn unevenly, in need of balance, or your alignment is off.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
mine does it as well, however, from what I can tell the alignment on mine is good. I can drive in a straight line with out touching the steering wheel. However, it's not a bad shake, as long as my hands on the wheel it really doesn't cause problems. And a warped rotar is a very common cause for the wheel to shake while braking. Plus, telling if your rotar is warped is something you can do your self too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Originally posted by Aggieland81@Jan 13 2004, 02:47 AM
Ah yes but what if you have brand new rotors and your wheel shakes between 40-50 mph?
Tire balance, bad tire, worn suspension component - if simply driving and not braking. Which car? How many miles?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Originally posted by NVSBMW@Jan 10 2004, 04:03 AM
HEY WASSUP EVERY1,

I DRIVE A 318IS 5 SPD MANUAL, RECENTLY WHEN EVER I ATTEMPT TO HIT THE BRAKES AT A FAST SPEED OR EVEN A SLOW SPPEN MY STEERING WILL SHAKES LIKE RATTLES. ID BE LOOKING AT MY HAND AND ITS LIKE A VIBRATOR...ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS COULD BE?? BRAKES??
Most likely a brake rotor warped. Most common cause. If you have any suspension components worn out, it would amplify the problem. But since braking triggers it, it's probably the rotor (s)

·
Registered
56 Posts
my 325is do the samething, all I do is change the ball joints and is fine now, befor I change the rotor and everything and it still shake, I forget who told me on this forums to change my ball joints but I listen to him and everything is fine now.
I could be wrong.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Originally posted by bmw_m3power@Jan 14 2004, 12:33 AM
my 325is do the samething, all I do is change the ball joints and is fine now, befor I change the rotor and everything and it still shake, I forget who told me on this forums to change my ball joints but I listen to him and everything is fine now.
I could be wrong.
It's always a possibility, but there are many other possibilities as well. Ball joints is expensive, and not as likely as a rotor. You can always check them though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you jack up the front of the car then grab the road wheel at the 12 o'clock and the 6 o'clock positions and try to wobble it, then try to wobble the wheel again with your hands at the 9 & 3 o'clock positions.
If the wheel does wobble it could be worn ball joints or (like mine) a worn suspension damper or even a worn hub bearing. All of these problems can cause brake judder.
If the wheel doesn't wobble then it could be a warped rotor or worn brake shoes.

Apologies if you have trouble understanding what I am saying, it's because I'm British (it's not a disease!) :haha

1 - 20 of 24 Posts