BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
either i just noticed an existing problem or i broke somthing...
when i turn the wheel all the way(right or left) the rpm takes a serious hit and drops several hundred rpm. i don't think its the normal drops from the pump because it stayed down and had it died on me once or twice becuase of it... any ideas? i can try to get a video of it later if that would help :thud

·
Registered
434 Posts
It shouldn't stall. Maybe the idle valve is sticking. You might want to try cleaning it, and check for vacuum leaks on the intake boots.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the idle valve was just replaced so it couldn't be that... could you explain to me where the intake boots are? and if you got some time, i don't really understand the whole vacuum thing i thought vaccums were just for carbs... but know i guess not.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Originally posted by alanh@Jan 24 2004, 09:33 PM
the idle valve was just replaced so it couldn't be that... could you explain to me where the intake boots are? and if you got some time, i don't really understand the whole vacuum thing i thought vaccums were just for carbs... but know i guess not.
The main rubber tube that the engine sucks it's air in through is the intake boot. If those get any cracks in them, or any of the hoses that are attatched to it or the intake manifold, then the engine can suck air throught them, which is not metered by the airflow meter. So, the engine will suck in more air than it thinks it is, and will idle like crap, and could die. Spray brake cleaner or wd40 around these areas with the engine running, and if the rpm goes up, and the engine runs better, then it is sucking in the wd40 and you have found a leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts