BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 325e that has been taken care of very well with 425k miles and never been rebuilt. No smoke on start up but has had some of the minor parts changed like water pump, alternator, battery and you know small stuff. I recently had the car in my garage for a new head gasket, finally, and everything went pretty good. Took longer than I wanted with work and life but finished the job a few days ago. Checked and rechecked hoses wires and plugs then hooked up a fully charged battery (new) put the key in and turned. Didn't expect anything on the first spin as it needed to push gas through the line. Made 3 short cranks and away it went, then died. Turned it over again and it started right up then died like it was starving for gas. I checked the fuel presser which came in at 32 psi on the injector line.
Everything seems to be correctly hooked up except the air filter box I left off for room to watch for leaks. I don't see an fuel leaks or drips but it will start (very smooth, not jump or jerking) but dies after about 30 to 40 seconds

Any idea of what to look for?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out these posts regarding similar situations. Either fuel or electrical problem.
I have a 1987 325e that has been taken care of very well with 425k miles and never been rebuilt. No smoke on start up but has had some of the minor parts changed like water pump, alternator, battery and you know small stuff. I recently had the car in my garage for a new head gasket, finally, and everything went pretty good. Took longer than I wanted with work and life but finished the job a few days ago. Checked and rechecked hoses wires and plugs then hooked up a fully charged battery (new) put the key in and turned. Didn't expect anything on the first spin as it needed to push gas through the line. Made 3 short cranks and away it went, then died. Turned it over again and it started right up then died like it was starving for gas. I checked the fuel presser which came in at 32 psi on the injector line.
Everything seems to be correctly hooked up except the air filter box I left off for room to watch for leaks. I don't see an fuel leaks or drips but it will start (very smooth, not jump or jerking) but dies after about 30 to 40 seconds

Any idea of what to look for?
I would check the gas for water or even possibly debris.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check the gas for water or even possibly debris.
Thanks guy's for the reply and idea's. I found the issue was with the intake air flow. I had left the intake filter box off so I could inspect after the head install. My bad, I didn't think that the airflow switches would play that much of a role but it turns out that if those 2 switches are not connected it will kill the car.
I connected the intake filter box just to make sure and wow! the old girl started up like a champ and ran smooth smooth smooth. The car has much better power and no water on the plugs when I checked.
Thanks again for the ideas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out these posts regarding similar situations. Either fuel or electrical problem.
Thanks for the reply. Got it figured out. It was in the intake filter box I left off to inspect but that box has the airflow switches that have to be connected for the car to run. My bad I didn't think they would make that much of a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts